Wednesday, April 13, 2022

Depression Era Chocolate Cake

 


This cake is amazing and uses all ingredients you likely already have in your pantry.  No eggs, butter or milk so extremely thrifty, which is a big reason I dug this recipe out and dusted it off.  Then I wondered why I haven't made this wonderful cake more often.

 

Chocolate Cake 

1 1/2 cups all purpose flour

2/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup cocoa

1 tsp. baking soda

1/2 tsp. salt

1 cup water or black coffee

6 Tbs. vegetable oil

1 Tbs. apple cider vinegar

1 tsp. vanilla 

In a large mixing bowl whisk dry ingredients together.  Add remaining ingredients and whisk until batter is nice and smooth.  Pour into an oiled 8" X 8" baking pan. Bake in a preheated 350° oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until top springs back at the touch.  Remove to rack and allow to cool.

 


You can eat it plain, dust it with a little powdered sugar, frost it or top it with a dollop of whipped cream.  Super easy, no fail, it’s a great cake.

 

6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious and sounds so simple to make. I may have to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dumb question: if you use black coffee, how is the flavor of the cake, like a mocha? And have you made it this way before

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I almost always make it with coffee. It seems to enhance the chocolate flavor, but you can't tell it has coffee in it.

      Delete
  3. We had this at school quite often. I am sure they used water for the liquid instead of coffee. Mother got the recipe and cut it down to make at home. I need to make it again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You know, I bet that was the cake they served when I was in school too.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.