Wednesday, May 25, 2022

Getting The Garden Beds Ready & Planted

 


Over the past few weeks, in between all of the crazy weather we've been having, I've been turning the soil and adding compost from our backyard bin to get my four raised beds ready to plant.  As I've worked on these beds I've seen loads of fat and happy earthworms in the rich dark soil.

 

Not pretty yet, but eventually it will be

With my daughter's help I was able to get seeds planted as well as my plants I started back in March.  They had been hanging outside during the day for a while getting used to wind and changing temperatures and then I left them overnight a few days prior to planting.  With me it is always a question as to whether anything will grow, but I'm hopeful this year.

 

A bell pepper I started from seed

We have planted tomato, bell pepper, cucumber and squash starts as well as peas, beans, beets and radish seeds.  I will water them, pull any weeds that pop up and keep an eye on things, but for the most part I know I am at the mercy of Mother Nature right now.  Our fingers are crossed.  Have any of you put your garden in yet?

 

3 comments:

  1. YEA!!!! I am in SE Boise. I have been planting since Saturday and finished up yesterday afternoon. Like you, fingers crossed for growing food and that the birds don't decide those delicate leaves are their food source!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here in SE Neb. My potatoes are looking great. Onions are growing. I planted green beans in that garden but they are slow to come up (we had cold, rain for 3 days, cold and now hot. We'll see how they do.) But I did uncover a few to see they are starting to sprout. The cabbage and broccoli are happy under their cloth hoops. I mulched most of that garden and just need to do around the potato rows yet. I'm trying to decide if I want to plant pollinator flowers there or just mulch that side. I did plant sunflowers between the main garden and the tomato garden. I need to mulch the tomatoes but I have a few volunteer tomatoes I want to transplant first. I have no idea what they are, so that will be a surprise. The raised bed has carrots and beets, spinach and chard. They are all up and growing. The strawberry raised bed is coming along. I'll be mulching that soon too. The herb pots are happy and growing. The blueberry root stock is looking dead. We'll see. I got 5 more to plant. We love blueberries. And finally, now that it is past the last frost date, I'll be planting my squashes and cucumbers. Farmer will be helping me with cattle panel hoops for those. And lastly I will plant my front stoop planters with hostas, red geraniums and some pretty white flower I cannot remember the name. After take a year off from vegetable gardening, I'm back with twice the size this year. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping to add a blueberry patch here too. We'll see. Still lots to do.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.