Monday, May 30, 2022

My Thrifty Retirement - Week 8

 


Today is Memorial Day here in the U.S. so a lot of people are enjoying a three day weekend and the kickoff to summer as we also remember those that have gone on before us.  We are going to remember our fallen heroes and lost loved ones today by getting together as a family and enjoying some quality time together.  A barbecue is planned and there will be plenty of good food to go with good company and good conversation.

 


My latest thrifty week began by canning the six pounds of ground beef I got on sale the week before.  I was able to put up twelve half pint jars of taco meat for long term storage along with a container of meat for the freezer and another one to enjoy throughout the week, which came in very handy.  All in all, a total of fourteen meal portions of cooked meat which averaged out to about 99¢ each.  You can't get canned beef at the store for that price so I am really pleased with this little project, not to mention all the easy to prepare meals that lie ahead.

 


I continued working on my latest landscaping projects.  We had beautiful weather all week long and I was eager to get back outside and play in the dirt, which I definitely did.  I was able to finish grading and preparing the ground, all by hand, for the new section of lawn, which I am very excited about.

 


I was able to complete the flower bed where our cute little pond is located.  It has now had a total revamp.  I left the boxwoods in place, even gave them a trim, but the rest of it is pretty much all new.  I'm delighted with how well it turned out and even happier to have the pond up and running once again.  I've been working on one section at a time and making really good progress, much faster than I expected.  So far, I am loving everything about this project.

 


Thursday was my youngest child's high school graduation.  I decorated with things I already had around the house, made her favorite cake, invited friends over and we enjoyed a very special day with her.  After the ceremony she and her friends all met back at our house before going out to dinner together for one last hurrah.  They invited me to tag along, but I politely declined so they good just go and be and enjoy themselves.  It was pretty much perfect.

 


My plan for the next few weeks is to continue working on the landscaping and tinkering around the house.  I have a feeling this summer is likely going to fly by and I'll be sending my girls off to their respective colleges before I know it.  And then it will just be me, the kitties and the chickens.  Is it bad that I'm really looking forward to it?

 


I hope you are all doing well, enjoying life as best as you can and that your worries are minimal.  Take care of yourselves and let me know in the comments what your plans for this summer are.  I do love hearing from you all.

 

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations to your daughter on her graduation!

    Our summer plans: our 16 year old is working at his first job this summer (working at a summer camp), & our 15 year old is attending some tennis camps. Otherwise, we're going to go to Bend for a family vacation with my parents & sister, which should be fun. And, work in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have a great summer plan. Both of my girls got their first jobs at 16. They really loved earning their own money and they saved most of it so they would have quite a nest egg when they moved out and went to college. Bend is beautiful, enjoy!

      Delete
  2. Did you use a waterbath canner to can the ground beef? I want to can some, but I don't have a pressure canner for canning. If you could do a post on your canning it, it would be so helpful,or if you already have,could you tell me the date,and I will look for it. Thank you, Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! You have to can meat and veggies in a pressure canner because they are low acid foods. Water bathing isn't safe. I recommend consulting the Ball canning guide for instruction on safe canning methods. :)

      Delete
  3. Congratulations to your daughter!
    And great minds. I canned ground beef today as well. Started with 8 pounds in the roaster (out on the porch to keep the house cool) at 7:30 this morning. I did 2 batches in the pressure canner and the second just came out now at 4:30. Yesterday I canned potatoes. We will be getting our pork in 3 weeks and our beef goes in in July. I need to clean out the freezers quickly!
    As for summer plans, we'll be working hard on the farm and in the gardens. DS1 & family will come for their annual visit (they live out of state) the end of June, for 5 days. We will have playdates with DS2's 4 little ones (they live locally.) We hope to go on a weekend trip with some friends to a living history farm a few hours away. Mostly we'll just enjoy our country homelife.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.