Saturday, January 28, 2023

Investment Cooking - Frozen Pizza


Everyone has one of those days where they don't know what to fix for dinner, don't have the energy or enthusiasm to fix dinner or they just want a pizza.  When that happens it is very tempting to grab the phone or log on and order a pizza delivery and end up spending around $30 by the time all is said and done.

 


Most delivery or take & bake pizzas are super salty and super greasy and while delicious, not the healthiest option for us to consume.  I like to spend a little time and do some investment cooking and make some healthier pizzas (or just pizza dough balls if you prefer) and keep them in the freezer.  I begin by making the dough in my bread machine, but you can do this by hand or with a stand mixer and dough hooks too.  Here is my go to pizza dough recipe I use.

 


Since it is just me these days, most of the time, I make a small pizza, about ten inches in diameter, top it with some marinara sauce or pesto, some mozzarella or Monterey jack cheese and whatever toppings I like.  I place the pizza on a pizza pan (the ones at Dollar tree work great for this) or cookie sheet and place it in my chest freezer for a couple hours until it is frozen solid.  Then I transfer it from the cookie sheet to a plastic Ziploc bag, push out all the air while I seal it up and then label it before placing it back in the freezer.

 


Now I have a pizza anytime I want it and I can have it out of the freezer, into the oven (400° for 10 to 15 minutes) and baked before a delivery driver can arrive at my door.  While it bakes you can even prepare a little salad to go along with it if you like.  And you just saved a bunch of $$ in the process and you are eating a much healthier meal too.

 


Make some pizzas.  It's fun!  And really, really tasty.

9 comments:

  1. Oh yum! We love pizza!
    I'll have to try your dough recipe. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always make our pizzas also. They are SO much healthier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also like homemade pizza a lot -- and I will make my own dough. (Except I add a tablespoon of sesame seed -- gives a nice flavor.) We like a crunchy crust, and have been using a trick a cousin taught me ages ago:
    *Make the crust and bake it on a pan (a stone would work, too). When it's firm and just a touch brown, then pull out -- add sauce, toppings and cheese -- slide it off the pan --
    *Then bake it right on the oven rack for about 10-15 min. more.

    Makes a nice non-soggy pizza! That might solve your friend's issue, too.

    (I also keep some frozen pizzas in the freezer, for when we get home at the last minute or I'm feeling extra lazy. Sam's Club has a four-pack of Tony's that's less than $3 each. The Frugalwoods mentioned this in their blog as their 'lazy' meal.)

    Have you ever just frozen the crusts, after an initial bake? I've thought about doing that -- haven't tried it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not done just the crust. I typically will either do pizzas or dough balls.

      Delete
  4. I love homemade pizza, but have gotten out of the habit, since my husband needs cauliflower crust. I bake up two frozen pizzas (one cauliflower, one regular for the teens). I like the idea of getting back to making at least a few homemade options.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for this! I recently had to start eating No Carb but Dh can have them. He loves my homemade pizza. Now I can make up the crusts and easily make him one whenever he wants it. I'll make the same toppings on veggies.
    I always enjoy your posts.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.