Wednesday, January 18, 2023

Living With LESS

 


After nearly a year of retirement and about six months of living alone I've come to realize I don't need much to be comfortable and live a good quality of life.  Since the first of December I've been working on that.  I began with a whole house declutter and on the first of January I began another one, literally starting over and beginning again.  I was amazed at how many more things I've found to get rid of.  This year I'm seriously thinning things down.  I want more open spaces, fewer stuffed cupboards and just less stuff around me.  I want to be less encumbered. Living with less is one of my goals this year.

 


If you've been following my blog for any amount of time you know I retired early, a couple years earlier than I originally planned.  Initially I was going to retire this year on April 1, 2023. But instead I chose to trade that in for two super thrifty years and an extra year of retirement.  While there were some stressful moments at first and I questioned the wisdom of that decision I now know that was definitely the correct choice for me.  I still have another year of super frugal living ahead of me and I'm completely fine with that.  I can tighten my belt, drive less, spend less and consume less.  For me it is a very fair trade off in order to have my freedom. 

 


I've never had a luxurious or frivolous life and I can honestly say I've never really wanted one.  I have never coveted a big house, fancy cars, a lot of money, big vacations or had the desire to hang out with the rich and famous.  Far from it.  I've actually leaned completely in the other direction.  All I've ever desired was to have what I need and to enjoy a comfortable life by means of my own hard work.  That is what gives me joy.

 


As a young single mother there were times when I would worry and lose sleep over how I would pay all of the bills, or take care of an unexpected expense or repair.  But once you've managed to fix something that broke or figure out how to make a meal out of practically nothing it is a real confidence booster.  Soon you come to realize that with a little thought and some extra effort there isn't much you can't do.  There is always a way to figure it out.

 


I started out my adult life with very little and a low income and I figured out ways to make the most out of what I had.  It was a necessity at the time that has grown and become a way of life.  As time went on and my income grew I didn't do what a lot of people do and increase my standard of living.  Instead I saved that extra income and continued to live as I had until I saved enough money to purchase my own home, which I still live in.  It isn't an extravagant home by any means, large enough to accommodate our needs while small enough to remain affordable to live in.  Then as my income grew again I continued to save my money and live as I always did. Very simply, very comfortably.

 


The knowledge that I don't need much in my life to be comfortable has been a source of confidence for me.  It has helped me immensely with successfully taking on early retirement.  There is great freedom in that as well.

 

14 comments:

  1. You've done very well on your retirement. Congratulations. I also prefer the simple life. We downsized our home when we moved from Florida to Illinois and I enjoy it so much now. Much less to clean and take care of. Which is always a win win.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori. I think we owe it to ourselves to simplify things so we can really enjoy our lives as we get older.

      Delete
  2. I love your attitude!! Thanks for the inspiration!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have always been fascinated and impressed by the way you live, and the way you tackle whatever comes your way. I live outside of NYC, and things are very different here. If it isn't too personal, would you talk a little about your children's independence? I notice that in this area many kids come back home after college - maybe it's the exorbitant cost of living, but I find it a little concerning that this generation doesn't seem to cut the apron strings. With teenagers heading soon to college, I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are truly a role model for so many of us. I still find it difficult to let some of my "things' go, but I'm being more mindful about bringing in more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was too, but you build those decluttering muscles as you go. Baby steps will get you started.

      Delete
  5. I think you’ve done an amazing job!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. s the others have said, you have done very well and you are always a great source of wisdom about finances! I’m very similar to you in that I don’t wish for bigger and better. I love our home and am thankful for all that we have. Less really is more!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a wonderful, thought-provoking post. It really set me (and my partner) to thinking about the true priorities. We concluded that we are extremely fortunate in that all of our needs and most of our wants are satisfied. The one real luxury we both enjoy is a vacation abroad but we accept that we need to rein in our expenses elsewhere in order to afford this treat. Thank you so much for the reminder that a simple life is a happy life.

    Heloise xxx

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.