Friday, February 10, 2023

Finding Joy In Teeny Tiny Budgets

 


I make my money work very hard for me, especially since I know how hard I worked to get it in the first place.  Right now our economy has created a lot of challenges for a lot of people, not just here in the United States, but worldwide.  Inflation has caused many to go without basic essentials like food and heating.  I've heard that in England utilities have tripled and even quadrupled in the past year making it nearly unaffordable for many to heat their homes.  While it is hard to find joy in that, it is fun to see how my frugal friends across the pond are bundling up and making the changes necessary to stay warm this winter.  I find their creativity and ingenuity inspiring and something I can learn from.  Their "can-do" attitudes motivate me to stay the course and do better.

 


Personally find it a super fun challenge to see how much I can get for as few dollars as I can spend.  I'm not cheap however, I do want the best quality possible for those dollars spent.  Rather than get upset, become anxious or frustrated because it seems impossible to work with so little money I've always considered it a challenge to make it happen, regardless.  All my life I've always maintained it isn't the amount of money we have but rather what we do with it that matters most.  If you set your mind to something, anything, you can do it.

 


There are loads of people that are getting creative and finding ways to stretch their dollars and I enjoy hearing their stories and watching them on Youtube.  I find a lot of good ideas and inspiration for meals, home improvements, recycling and upcycling.  All designed to save money and take care of our needs.  I've even joined in with them for "Canuary" (didn't even know that was a thing until this year) and I did some home canning.  There are a lot of people doing pantry challenges too so I was in good company.

 


There is something truly satisfying about saving money on something or scoring a great deal.  Living deep and contentedly within our means.  If you find yourself dealing with limited funds or self imposed tiny budgets I'd love to hear about how you are managing.  Building a community of like minded people to share tips and ideas is something I want to have on this blog.  Some of you have commented already about ways you are coping with the rise in prices.  Let's keep that momentum going, shall we?  Take care my friends!

 

8 comments:

  1. I have read your blog for a long time. I just wanted to thank you for all the amazing posts and money saving ideas. I am starting a new job soon that will double my income. I will be maxing out retirement and savings for next 14 years until I retire. This will be a huge blessing. I also have 2 girls adopted from China. They are 19&15. It has been a joy to follow along with your girls and all of their success. I hope they are doing well. Laurie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Good for you Laurie! Sounds like you are headed on the right path toward retirement. Yes, our girls are a true blessing. My girls are doing well, thank you for asking.

      Delete
  2. I'm using portion control for food. I don't go hungry but I am more mindful of what I'm eating. For example, I don't take the last roll at dinner just because it's the last one unless I really am still hungry. I know I can use it for my lunch the next day.

    I check my fridge everyday for what needs to be used up and eat that 1st before I cook or bake something new.
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brilliant! I find myself "rationing" my food a bit too. No waste, that's for sure.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful home canning! What peace of mind knowing you have options for healthy quick meals. One way I have been saving on electricity (rather than crank up the furnace or turn on electric space heaters) is to use electric heated throws when I’m sitting at the computer or sitting on the sofa watching tv. They use 90% less energy than a space heater (according to University of Utah). Teresa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea. I have a heating pad I keep near my recliner and use an electric blanket on my bed. So far I'm staying warm and keeping my electric bill reasonable, knock on wood. ;)

      Delete
  4. You do a great job of making your $$ stretch. This is what I need to learn.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.