Monday, July 24, 2023

My Tireless Retirement - Week 68

 


Oh my goodness folks!  We’ve had some really hot days here.  I hope you all are doing well and handling the heat okay if it is hot where you live.  I did what any smart retired person does.  I only ventured out in the early mornings and late evenings as the sun was setting to get my outdoor chores done and came up with any excuse I could to stay inside where it was nice and cool.  I did go out in the hot afternoon briefly though just to check on the chickens and make sure they were doing okay and had plenty of water.  They did just fine as they usually do, but I still worry about them anyway.

 

"Whatcha doin' Mom?  Can I help?"

The kitties stayed indoors all day and kept me company.  Jack’s new spot lately has been the far corner under the bed in the upstairs spare bedroom.  He curls up and sleeps the day away unless I’m up there sewing and then he sprawls out on whatever I’m working on, bless his little furry heart.  Stella’s spot was always the bed in that room, but now that Jack is usually under it she is now annoyed and prefers the top of the bunny enclosure now.  Little Miss Daisy either sprawls out on the floor or hides inside her cardboard tunnel I made her out of an extra large Amazon box.  At least everyone is happy.

 

"Hello Edith!"

My main focus this past week was to do some yard work so I grabbed my leaf blower and cleaned up all of the fallen leaf debris.  Once the summer heat hits my big sycamore sheds its bark so I had quite a bit to clean up.  I cleaned up a bit of the garden, trimming off some leaves from the zucchini plants that got sun burnt as well as anything that was done like my cilantro and the grasshopper eaten marigolds.  I also had plenty of flowers to deadhead, weeds to pull as well as weeds to spray along my driveway.

 

A friend of mine gave me these potholders

Other things I accomplished was to get caught up on housework, give myself a much needed haircut and do some financial planning for the remainder of the year.  I also spent a sufficient amount of time in my sewing room working on various projects.  That was honestly the best part of my week and I made some remarkable progress on the project pile.

 

My latest canning project using up some of my garden harvest

Lastly, I managed to do some canning.  Watch for the post I’ll be putting up about that on Saturday.  I’m super happy with that little project and no failures which is awesome because I used Golden Harvest jars this time instead of Ball or Kerr and I was just a touch nervous about them.  But they seem just as thick and did fine in a water bath canner.

 

Buffalo chicken breast & a green salad

I hope you all enjoyed a fabulous week and all is going well.  Take care, stay cool, but above all make sure you are having fun.  Let me know what has been keeping you busy latel.

 

4 comments:

  1. Smart approach to doing outside work! I live in Florida, and it's scalding, too. I wish I could say I was staying inside, but we're in the process of moving, plus I had a yard sale to unload the excess stuff. However, I do try to get errands done by 10am to avoid the worst heat of the day when possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went out last night to water around 8:30 and it was 99! That's hot here for that time of the evening but felt oddly cooler than that. It was 107 yesterday. No triple digits expected for the rest of the week. We'll see.

      Delete
  2. It’s been hot in NC as well. You’ve stayed busy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm trying to stay busy, otherwise all I want to do is eat. LOL

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.