Wednesday, February 21, 2024

Nothing Is Set In Stone

 


A few weeks ago I was walking from the downtown bus station to my job and I had quite an epiphany.  It occurred to me that at this time in my life there is absolutely, positively nothing that I have to do.  Nothing.  Everything I do on a daily basis is now a choice.  No one can make me do anything I don’t want to.  It is an amazing place to be in life to realize just how much freedom that gives a person.

 


At that moment, had I wished to, I could’ve turned around, hopped back on the bus and gone home.  Or, I could’ve just kept walking and spent the whole day exploring.  I showed up for work that day simply because that is what I wanted to do.

 


Where I currently work there are regular full time and part time employees.  I am one of four retirees that basically job share another full time position.  We’ve all had discussions about why we chose to work there and one of the most common things we agree on is that we are there because it brings us joy.  We have so much fun that we feel like we are paid volunteers and we all agree that if it wasn’t fun we wouldn’t be there.  We’ve all done our time having to go to work to earn a living.  Things are different now.  This is a choice.  We go to “work” now to share a bit of our life with others.

 


For the first time in my life I now live for myself.  My days, my decisions, my goals are all oriented around ME.  I no longer have to look after and take care of other people.  No one depends on me for anything anymore.  I get to do what I want to do and nothing is set in stone.  I can change my mind at any given moment if I choose.  I’ve never had this happen to me before and to be honest, it has taken some getting used to.  I had to really wrap my head around the fact that this is now my reality.  Wow!  It’s a really good place be!

 

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! Don’t ever forget that you EARNED that freedom with the life choices you made to get you there.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.