Wednesday, April 17, 2024

I'm A City Girl

 


For years I’ve dreamed of a little cabin in the woods or a place in the country.  I’ve even planned it on paper and looked at properties.  I’ve dreamed of taking my RV on road trips and staying in the mountains or the desert for weeks on end.  But the truth of the matter is, I’m really a city girl at heart.

 

I love the downtown architecture

I’ve finally come to the realization that for me I love the little city that I live in and now work for.  In fact, since retiring I’ve fallen even deeper in love and since I went to work for the city my feelings have only increased that much more.  Everything I need and want to do is right here, I just didn’t know it.

 


I’m truly a homebody.  I like to be at home and putter around the house, working on projects or doing some sort of crafting or sewing task.  I love that I have a sweet little yard where I can grow flowers and a few tomatoes and zucchinis.  A little coop with some hens who still lay the occasional egg has taken my urban homestead to another level.  I have kitties to love and cuddle with.  What more can a girl ask for?

 


As I am exploring the city I live in I am seeing so many new things and loads of stuff I had forgotten about in the everyday hustle that once was my life before retirement.  I am rediscovering the place I call home.  I love my creature comforts.  I enjoy coming home at the end of a day out or at work and relaxing which a hot or cold beverage and a kitty in my lap.  I like that wherever I go I’m close to a store to buy food or whatever else I happen to need and most recently that I can access those places with public transportation.  Being less dependent on a car to get from here to there has made me feel even more independent than I already did.  It’s very liberating to have options.

 


All of my pipe dreams of country and mountain living have been archived.  Reality has set in and I’m not sad about it at all.  Instead my plans will be to visit those places and enjoy them on a part time basis.  It was fun to plan and dream about it, but the truth is I love where I am at right now and how every day is still a new adventure.

 

 

8 comments:

  1. I'm so happy you're in a place that you love. That really makes life so much nicer. I too love where we live. It's a smallish town but has everything I need. The community is wonderful and the local grown/made options are amazing. If there is something I want that we don't have it's only an hour in any direction to a larger city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking exactly the same thing today when I was in our little French village. The people are so helpful and friendly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I envy your lack of dependence on a car! I've told DH that when we downsize from this house, we need to live in a community that's walkable to commerce, plus with bus lines. He keeps telling me that we'll have cars that drive themselves when we need to give up driving, but that is so not the point. Your car-independent lifestyle is my goal, and I'm sure we will get there--because I will make it so! LOL!

    Goals and dreams change, and there is nothing wrong with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue! You too will hit your car free goal, I'm sure of it! :)

      Delete
  4. This is so sweet.

    My in-laws live in the mountains of NC. After years of thinking I could live anywhere I realized that wasn't true when I spent an extended period of time there. I love the mountains & grew up visiting that area. But to live there, no.

    I used to live in one of the largest cities in the US. It was great as a young single . Now I live in the suburbs. Our property is close to all the lovely things being in a major metropolitan area affords. But the best part is our home is located in a part of the county that has large lots and lots of trees. It really feels like we're in the country when we drive down our private street but I'm 10 minutes from anything I'd want.

    It sounds like you have bloomed where you were planted and that's the best thing of all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Margaret. We can definitely bloom where we are planted and appreciate all it has to offer us. Cheers!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.