Wednesday, May 8, 2024

Affordable Mattress Project

 


I need a comfortable mattress to take camping with me this summer.  I want to do some hiking and camping in some of the beautiful remote areas in Idaho and that means pitching a tent.  With that in mind I know I’m no spring chicken and I want to be comfortable so I get some good, comfortable sleep.

 



Last summer I had purchased a foam camp cot pad at Fred Meyer, but from past experience I know they aren’t bad, but on their own they don’t hold up too well.  I didn’t want to end up getting it all dirty and having pine needles stuck in it or have it get torn by getting caught on things.  I knew I wanted a protective cover, but I also wanted it to have an added layer for warmth and comfort.  Nobody wants to feel a rock or lump of earth poking them in the back nor do I want to end up stiff and sore in the morning.

 



After a fair bit of research I came up with a plan and I ordered a camp cot mattress pad to add to the foam pad.  I also ordered a washable and breathable cotton mattress cover that zips closed so it will stay on nicely and not allow anything to get inside and damage the mattress or allow it to get dirty.  It was easy to assemble the foam pad and the mattress pad using the corner straps that came on the mattress pad.  With a little finesse I was able to slip both the foam and mattress pad into the cotton cover and get it zipped up.

 



I need to be able to roll it up enough for it to fit inside the backseat of my truck or inside a plastic tote so I used a wide piece of elastic I happened to have in my sewing stash to make a stretchable band to go around the mattress after I rolled it up.  I was also able to add my travel pillow and tuck it into the band.  Perfect!

 



Everything came together as I had hoped it would.  After laying on it for a while I know I’m going to be comfortable and will be able to sleep very well on my summer adventures.  I spent $28 on the foam pad last summer, $38 on the mattress pad and $19 on the cover.  I didn't think that was bad at all.  The bonus of having this little mattress setup is that it will be perfect to have in case I need an extra place for a guest to sleep and it won’t take up much space at all.  I personally can hardly wait to try it out myself.  Yes!  I'm so excited!

 

6 comments:

  1. Did you end up selling your camper? My body is too old to rent camp. I am thinking of getting a Casita. I will have my summers and holidays off starting this fall as a school nurse. My hope is to see most of the US. There is so much to see. Hard to know where to start. Have a great summer camping.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that! So many wonderful places to visit make for way too many choices.

      Delete
  2. Good ideas here! But I am wondering...

    Does this mean that you've finally put Laverne up for sale?

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a clever idea! I love that it all folds up so nicely! That should be great for your adventures!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.