Friday, July 12, 2024

A New Refrigerator

 


If you’ve followed my blog or my old blog for any length of time you know I’ve done some repairs and updates in the past handful of years that have prolonged the life of my refrigerator.  After nearly thirty years, however, the poor old girl had been showing signs recently that she was nearing the end of her life.  Sadly, parts are no longer available anymore for my particular refrigerator making any further repairs nearly impossible so when it started to occasionally spit water onto the floor I knew that the time had come.  Steadily, the plastic parts had become brittle and were starting to fail.  I had fixed all that I could fix.  It was time to replace it.

 

The thicker door on the new one sticks out just as much
as the old one so I'm really glad it doesn't have the handles too

I have been shopping for a refrigerator for several months now.  It never occurred to me when I began that finding a white refrigerator to replace the one I had would end up being so difficult.  If I wanted a stainless steel finish then I’d have tons of options, but white appliances right now are far more limited, which is completely crazy to me.  I personally do not care for the stainless steel appliances, that is just my personal preference, and I definitely didn’t want to feel like I needed to update the stove and dishwasher too just to replace the refrigerator and have all matching appliances in my kitchen (because I do need them to match, that is just how I am).  To me that seemed even crazier.  But, I hung in there and finally made a decision on a simple white refrigerator.

 

I do like the sleek design of the new refrigerator

After much searching and much reflection I realized I don’t need to replace this refrigerator with one that is similar.  My needs have changed and all I truly need right now is a place to store some cold and frozen foods.  I don’t need a water dispenser or an ice maker, in fact I never really used the water dispenser on my current refrigerator and I don’t like the funky taste the ice gets from the ice maker.  In fact, I removed the icemaker last year and added a shelf in its place so I could use ice trays and keep the ice in a covered container because it tastes better.  I also have zero interest in a smart refrigerator or any of that other fancy stuff.

 

It has less cubic feet and yet it seems
much more spacious

Once I had my criteria for a new refrigerator established, and knew what few choices I had as a result, I finally felt ready to make the decision and pull that trigger.  Last week I selected and ordered a simple white LG refrigerator with the freezer on top.  It is also a bit smaller (or so I thought it was) since I don’t need a bigger refrigerator anymore, especially as I don’t need to store as much food inside one now.  Turns out that despite it being a smaller refrigerator it is actually quite a bit roomier than the side by side I used to have.

 

No icemaker this time around, I'm the icemaker now!

I also decided I wanted a refrigerator without handles this time because I have a small galley kitchen and space is at a premium.  On my old refrigerator the handles protruded outward quite a bit.  It may seem like it wouldn’t make that much of a difference but the sleek design of the door on the new refrigerator really does make a difference and it is super easy to keep clean too.  Plus, now the newer refrigerators have much thicker doors to make them more energy efficient.  It sticks out just as far as the old refrigerator did, but had I ordered one with handles it would have stuck out even more.  That would’ve made me crazy, I think.

 

I found this stuck to the underside of the old fridge
It has been a very long time since I've had magnet letters
stuck on the front of the refrigerator 😄

Lastly, but certainly not the least, the new refrigerator was half the price of what it would’ve cost to replace my old one with a similar side by side model with all the bells and whistles.  And it wasn’t on a six week backorder like many of the other options.  Because it is more energy efficient it should also save me some money on my monthly power bill.  Plus, it is shiny and new and I’m having a lot of fun organizing it and figuring out the best way to keep my fresh food and meal preps inside.  That part is still a work in progress.  Also, Bonus!  If I ever decide to buy a frozen pizza it will fit inside the freezer, no problem.

 

I bought some organizers for the new refrigerator/freezer

Who would think a downgrade in appliances would make me so happy.  So what do you think?  Did I make a good decision?  So far, I think that I did.

 

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like the perfect replacement for you. Be sure and check when you do your taxes on a energy saving tax break. We replaced our water heater and A/C unit last year and got a really nice tax credit for replacing old appliances. It basically covered the price of the water heater.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree about white appliances vs stainless steel. I have never liked stainless steel, and when we had a fridge in stainless steel, in a rental, it always looked smudged. I've never had a side by side model, but I'm glad you're finding you have great storage space in your new model with a freezer on top.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, I was a little nervous about it, but it is going to be great! :o)

      Delete
  3. I've been mulling over buying a new fridge, rather than wait for this one to fail. Already, the water dispenser is kaput and I relied on it all the time, especially in our crazy heat. I'm the only one who make ice and its a pain in the butt. My current unit is an LG and is 14 years old. Like you, I don't want a computer on the front, or stainless steel. Just a basic model, but with ice and water. No handles would be nice and make mine black. Ha! Maybe I should start looking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have fun shopping! It wasn't my favorite thing to do, but sometimes you just have to.

      Delete
  4. Ooo I love your new refrigerator with freezer on top! I think you made a fantastic decision to “rightsize” it, and I think it’s an upgrade in the looks department and also for energy efficiency. Great investment!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa. So far it is meeting my expectations. :o)

      Delete
  5. Oh a new fridge is fun! The possibilities for organizing! Lol!

    My mother needs a new fridge. I believe hers is at least 20 years old. It works but honestly it's looking pretty beat. And she could use a more energy efficient one. But she only wants a white side-by-side. My appliance guy says he hasn't been able to get that kind for 2 years.

    I love my big, French-door stainless refrigerator with bottom drawer freezer and 2 extra pull-out drawers. My husband thinks it's too big. I don't. I use every inch.

    I'm glad you found something you liked. Looking forward to seeing pictures of it all organized!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.