Monday, July 8, 2024

Vintage Cookery - Rhubarb Crisp

 


Rhubarb is probably something most people had growing in their yards back in the day.  Many of us still do.  I had my best and largest rhubarb harvest ever this past month.  To celebrate I made this rhubarb crisp dessert using my vintage Betty Crocker cookbook from 1969.  It was fabulous!

 



Rhubarb is rather tart so it is important to get just the right amount of sugar in your recipe to make it palpable, but I happen to really enjoy the flavor and tartness so I don’t mind if it isn’t quite so sweet.

 

Click on the picture for a larger view of the recipe

I plan to make the apple and the blueberry
crisps in the not too distant future

With any crisp recipe my favorite part is the crunch topping and this recipe didn’t include oatmeal so I added a half cup to the rhubarb crisp recipe after looking at the apple crisp recipe on the same page.  Doing that made the topping just right for my liking but you certainly don’t have to add it.

 


The only thing missing was a scoop of vanilla ice cream, but I didn’t have any at the time.  Nonetheless it was still very delicious all on its own.

 

2 comments:

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.