Monday, August 12, 2024

Vintage Cookery - The Poke Cake

 


To some of us it may seem unbelievable that this recipe qualifies as a vintage recipe, but it sure does.  The Poke Cake was introduced to us in print advertisements and recipe booklets by Kraft for Jell-O in 1976.  As a kid I loved this cake although I don’t recall having it very often.  Several years ago I re-introduced it to my little family and it became a fast favorite, so much so that my youngest requested this cake for her birthday every year afterward.

 


I love the ease and versatility of this cake because you can change it up depending on your choice of cake mix flavor and gelatin flavor.  It is so easy that I used it as an educational recipe when I was teaching my girls to bake.

 



By simply baking a yellow or white cake mix according to package directions and letting it cool you are halfway there.  Once the cake is cooled simply dissolve a small box of gelatin, any flavor, in a cup of boiling water, then add a half cup of cold water and stir.  Prick the cake all over with a fork.  Slowly spoon the gelatin over the cake allowing each spoonful to absorb into the cake.  Then place it in the refrigerator for at least four hours to set.  “Frost” the top of the cake with a tub of thawed Cool Whip and it is ready to serve. 






In 1981 Kraft introduced the pudding poke cake.  You simply poke the cake with the handle of a wooden spoon or dowel and then pour prepared instant pudding over the top of the cake and chill.  Then slice and serve with a dollop of Cool Whip.  I’m actually planning to make this with a lemon cake mix and lemon pudding in the not too distant future.


Again, a refreshing and delicious dessert!  Perfect on a hot summer day, but really, who wouldn’t like this any time of year?  Am I right?  Perhaps this will make it onto your Labor Day menu?  Or next celebration?



14 comments:

  1. I make this cake for the 4th of July and decorate the top with a flag motif using cut strawberries & blueberries. It's always a hit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My family loves poke cake. I usually use strawberry jello. I have adjusted the way I make it ever since a friends mom told me what she does. First difference is I dust the cake pan with sugar. Then for the frosting I use 2 envelopes of dream whip instead of cool whip and I add part of a package of lemon pudding to the dream whip. These two simple changes make a huge difference.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  3. What memories the poke cake evokes! I grew up in a family of 5 children with parents who were self employed. Money was very tight, and treats were few and far between. I remember the pure joy of savoring a piece of poke cake. As an adult I have made the cake occasionally and enjoyed it, but nothing can compare with the tastiness of the cake my mom used to make. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, I cannot possibly convey how much it depresses me to hear Poke Cake referred to as "vintage."
    Classic? Absolutely!
    Vintage? Sigh. Gonna go crawl in a corner now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. This post definitely brought back some childhood memories! I don't remember the last time I had one so I guess it's time to try this "vintage" recipe again. Oh my is it really vintage? Oh well then I suppose I am as well. :)

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
  6. Haha I had no idea this cake had been around that long. I never had or saw it as a child. I came across the recipe a few years ago and my family loved it. Made one for hubs to take to work & they all thought it was great.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My husband wanted a pineapple jello poke cake for his birthday a couple weeks ago. I remembered poke cakes from childhood but hadn't had one since. It was fun to make and it tasted so good! Our family liked it so much that everyone was planning what kind of poke cake they would have for their own birthdays. I can see how your daughter got hooked on them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds heavenly. I'll have to give that a whirl. I love a good pineapple dessert.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.