Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Preparing & Stockpiling

 


In 2020 I began to put together a "prepper" pantry separate of our regular everyday pantry after witnessing the chaos that happened in the supermarkets at the start of the Coronavirus pandemic.  It was unsettling to see the panic shopping as people completely cleared the shelves with total disregard for anyone else.  Up until then I never felt the need to be any kind of prepper, but once you've seen the lengths others will go to it makes you step back and completely re-evaluate the situation.

 

Long term food storage in labeled boxes

My "prepper" pantry is not on a grand scale, by any means, but it is designed to help me weather any situation that may crop up - illness, job loss, financial hardship, extreme weather, supply chain issues, etc.  I've always kept a full pantry and a stockpile of often used items so it wasn't much of a stretch for me to prep.  Last year, my goal for my prepper pantry was to replace anything I used from it, manage it so nothing goes bad and I always know what I have and then to expand it to a one year supply of food, toiletries, laundry supplies, housekeeping supplies and pet food.

 

Chest freezer in my garage

There is great security and peace of mind in being prepared.  This year I plan to do pretty much the same thing - manage and maintain.  I have a one year supply on hand and I plan to maintain it so that when I retire I won't have to worry and will be as prepared as possible for "what if".  If anything should happen I know I will be fine.  Retirement is a big step and even when you think you are ready there is still some uncertainty about whether or not you truly are.  I feel that having this prepper pantry established will make the transition much easier for me.

 

Canned goods & condiments

By the time I retire my plan is to have my prepper pantry fully stocked, my everyday pantry fully stocked and my chest freezer fully stocked.  I also plan to have a one year grocery budget ($1200) saved up and set aside.  One thing I will not need to be concerned about is how I will be able to eat and feed myself.  I also plan to stock up on other essentials such as basic toiletries, household items and cleaning supplies.  And, like my grocery budget, I plan to have a one year budget ($300) for non food items saved up and set aside in case I need anything. I think it is a good plan and I'm well on my way to making it happen.

 

 

5 comments:

  1. So the $1500 is in addition to emergency/sinking funds?
    Sounds like a good plan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Curious if you're still purchasing from Dollar Tree as prices have gone up or are you buying in bulk somewhere else? Is Fabuloso still your go to product? I retired/sold my cleaning service last year and miss it here and there. Wanted to retire my OCD, didn't happen lol...... Love your new place, Patti Ann.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't been in Dollar Tree for quite a while, not sure when I will go next time. I am mainly picking up sales and loss leaders at the grocery stores and checking out our grocery outlet store from time to time. Yes, Fabulosa is still my favorite all purpose cleaner and I buy it in the big bottles at Wal-Mart. Glad you like this! Take care Patti Ann.

      Delete
  3. I think many of us would love to see how you break down on paper your prepare pantry plan. Blessings, Tracy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that I have done if for a couple of years I'll have to work some kind of tutorial. Good idea.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.