Wednesday, February 23, 2022

Making Fresh Produce Last Longer

 


Fresh produce is difficult to keep nice sometime, but I've been doing something lately that seems to be help us keep it fresher longer.  As soon as I get home from the store I was all my produce, even my berries, in cold water with a good splash of white vinegar in it.  I swish it around and let it soak for a bit before removing, rinsing and draining.  Then it goes into the refrigerator or fruit basket.

 

Grapes and berries get a spa treatment


I'm finding our oranges don’t get moldy and last much longer.  Our lettuce stays fresher and doesn't wilt as fast.  Mushrooms and carrots don't get that slimy film on them and celery doesn't go soft.  We really struggled with strawberries going bad with a day of two of purchase, but now they last the week.

 

Even the "pre-washed" stuff gets a vinegar bath

And with good reason
That water was disgusting!

I don't do this with bananas, potatoes or onions yet, but pretty much everything else I buy gets a bath.  Anyone else bathe their produce like this once they get home?

 

12 comments:

  1. I do! It really does make a huge difference. And, you don’t even really need to rinse it after the soak - there is no vinegar taste afterwards! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been doing this for a year or more and it really does make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, I've been doing it for about three years now. It works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the tip! I bought some strawberries and blueberries yesterday but don't usually wash til I want to use. I thought they would mold quicker once washed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been picking up Tupperware containers to store my salad ingredients and cut produce. I’m amazed how it actually does keep my cleaned produce fresh longer. The durable materials, varied sizes and inexpensive purchase price at thrift stores and church sales make this a success all around.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been doing that for years. I also store my strawberries in quart canning jars and they stay beautiful for several weeks. Cucumbers were my worst spoilers. Now I vinegar rinse them. Dry well and place in paper towels in a loosely closed bag. They'll keep a week this way. Otherwise they were molding right away.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.