Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Weekly Soup

 


With the rising costs of groceries it is becoming a bigger challenge to stay on budget.  Any time I was looking to lower our grocery spending or save some extra money for something I would add a weekly soup to our menu in order to make what we had stretch further.  It works well and allows me to use up odds and ends of things that might otherwise go to waste.

 


This year there was no doubt that I'd be adding a weekly soup to our menu plan.  I began the new year with a spicy coconut curry soup that will warm up your insides and leave you full and satisfied.  Soups are healthy, thrifty and above all delicious.  I also love the endless possibilities I have when it comes to making soup.

 

My favorite combo - grilled cheese and tomato soup

I will often make a pot of soup (usually in my slow cooker), some type of bread and a salad and that will be our meal.  Leftovers reheat easily in the microwave and store nicely in the freezer as well.  I will often freeze some of the soup to have later down the line, thawed and reheated for a super quick weeknight supper or lunch on the weekend.

 

Canned soups are also an economical alternative,
especially if you stock up when they are on sale

If you want to add a weekly soup to your menu plan and need some ideas or recipes click here for a post I wrote a while back.  Let me know in the comments what your favorite soup is.  Do you make soup often?

 

10 comments:

  1. I completely agree about soup keeping the budget under control. We are now trying to have soup more frequently too. Soup has always been my youngest daughters favorite and there are so many kinds to try. She also likes to cook and loves trying new things. I love that she is budget conscience too which is a huge help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is so nice when our kiddos are on board. Enjoy your soup! Stay healthy and safe.

      Delete
  2. I am making an sausage soup tonight. I'm not following a recipe, but found some German sausage in the freezer and will add some odds and ends from the pantry/freezer, plus some pasta at the end. These kind of soups seem to be kid pleasers too. I think it will be much harder to stick to a tight food budget this year, but I hope I'm wrong. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you. I do think we are going to have a bigger challenge with the grocery prices and availability this year.

      Delete
  3. My husband loves all soup, and my eldest son loves several of my scratch made soups, particularly apple-cabbage soup. The rest of the family can take soup or leave it, but I really, really dislike eating soup. I'm not sure why, but, typically, I just don't care to eat soup. It's odd, because I'm not a picky eater at all. I just don't get excited about soup. The soups I make regularly are slow cooker baked potato soup, taco soup (sans beans), chicken (or turkey) tortilla soup, (with leftover chicken or turkey) and the Tightwad Gazette "Tuna Cheddar chowder." (I actually DO get a craving for this several times/year.) The only soup I would only regularly eat eagerly was my homemade, pressure canned tomato soup from the uglies in my former vegetable garden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those all sound wonderful. I like taco soup and tomato is my favorite.

      Delete
  4. Thanks for the ideas! I need all the ideas that I can get to keep my spending down. I want to try your tomato soup recipe as I think grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup are one of my favorites.
    I have been making soups more often the past few weeks. We bought 1/4 of a cow last year, and I requested soup bones and oxtails along with the regular cuts. We tried oxtail stew for the first time, and it was surprisingly good. We also made hot and sour soup for Chinese New year, and butternut squash soup to use up my last squash before it went bad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you are off to a great start this year in the soup department. Yum!

      Delete
  5. We like tomato & grilled cheese also.
    Chili (with beans) & Homemade Chicken Noodle. We'll have those tomorrow night. I canned a batch of each, so it'll be easy to heat up. I'll make cornbread to go along side.
    We also like Baked Potato Soup, Ham & Bean; Vegetable Beef. I like Squash Soup and Oyster Stew.
    We don't have soup as much as we should. I'll start adding it to the menu every other week.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.