Monday, March 28, 2022

Budgeting My Way To Retirement - Week 12

 


I was in a mood to bake stuff Sunday morning.  I made a loaf of wheat bread for a friend, biscuits for Sunday brunch and a depression era chocolate cake (recipe to be posted soon) for us to enjoy throughout the week ahead.  I forgot how good that simple little cake is and had to wonder why it had been so long since I'd made it.

 


I sold an 18 count carton of eggs to a friend for $4.  That money goes toward their feed and helps to make them more self sufficient.  In the summer I can often sell enough eggs to cover most of their feed.

 


I made up a batch of foaming hand soap solution and refilled our dispenser at the kitchen sink as well as the one in our downstairs bathroom.  By making it myself it costs me just pennies rather than replacing the dispenser or even purchasing the refill kits at the store.  Plus is keeps a lot of plastic dispensers out of the landfill when you reuse them.

 


Our kitchen sink had started leaking around the drain basket.  I removed it, clean up the old putty, cut a new paper gasket to replace the old one out of a box from our recycle bin, put on some new putty, replace the rubber gasket with the new paper gasket and put it all back together.  No more leak!  And because everything I used, including the plumber's putty, I already had on hand in our garage it was a FREE repair too!

 


Our weather has warmed up a fair amount so I took the chance the last half of the week and we turned off the heat.  I'm hopeful it can stay off and we can have a much lower electric bill for a while.  The warmer spring weather has sure been nice.

 


I hope all is well in your world.  What thrifty things did you do last week?

 

7 comments:

  1. I need you to be my neighbor. Lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am always inspired by your posts. Thanks for sharing.

    I help out at my church's food pantry the first and third week of the month. When there is a fifth Monday and there are fewer than expected participants the third Monday, often times we workers are sent home with things that would not keep three weeks before the next distribution. I was able to get 7 large loaves of crushed sandwich bread for my 27 hens and 2 roosters and was given a couple 10 pound bags of potatoes and two bags of onions that had begun to sprout. I canned the potatoes last week and will can the onions this week. I also rescued a pound of hamburger that was being thrown away, as it was a little freezer burned. I mixed it in with 6 pounds of hamburger that I had already planned to can and can not tell the difference. A week ago, I cut off the bottoms from a cabbage, a head of lettuce and a bunch of celery and have them rooting on my window sill, ready to put in the garden in the next couple of weeks. I was wanting a tray to put across my old fashioned bath tub to hold a book and a glass of water when I am relaxing in the tub, but thought the prices for them online were ridiculous. Instead, I decided to make one totally out of old wood, stain and handles we had in our shed. It turned out great - far better than expected - and goes well with my antique and rustic decor. :0)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is fantastic! You are very resourceful. Great work.

      Delete
  3. I LOVE scrambled eggs with biscuits and gravy. Chris recovered what he could after totaling his truck saving the rollout and the oversized gas tank and will put them both on the new truck himself saving few thousand dollars. We have been cutting back on meat usually sharing the protein and amping up the veggies,or PB toast if we are hungry later on. Also implemented 1 night as soup and 1 night as breakfast. Electric went down 50.00 in February and again in March so we must be doing something right!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.