Monday, April 4, 2022

How I Spent My First Day

 


Ha, ha, ha!  The irony of officially starting retirement on April Fool's Day was not lost on me and it did make me pause and briefly consider the wisdom in that.  It sure had some of you wondering if I was serious or joking.  Not a joke.  This girl is serious!

 

Items that are too worn to donate

I woke up SUPER EXCITED at the prospect of what lies ahead, but it was only 3:00 am!  So, I went with it. J  I made a pot of coffee and while that was going I filled up my daily travel mug with bleach and hot water to clear out all of the tea stains.  Then I dumped out my huge bag I lugged back and forth to work each day (as I plan to travel much lighter) and pretty much got rid of everything that used to be important.  I kept my wallet and car keys though.  I filled up my washing machine with laundry, including my lunchbox, and got that going as if I wanted to wash away my tired work life.  Next I grabbed a trash bag from the garage and started filling it up with my old worn out winter coat with a broken zipper, my worn out work shoes with a holes in them (I refused to buy a new pair this year) and my work shirts with the company logo.  I also decommissioned my day planner.  Truth!  And it felt really good to get that crap taken care of.  Once that was accomplished I settled in with a hot cup of freshly brewed coffee and did some writing while I waited for the washer to finish up. It wasn't even 4:00 yet!

 


The rest of my day was spent in my craft room making greeting cards using my die cutting machine and all my pretty papers.  I had SO MUCH FUN!.  It was a fabulous way to spend my first day.  I was in there for a good ten hours with a kitty curled up at my feet.  I only took a couple of breaks to eat my lunch and fix some tea.  I was definitely in my zone.  I have a lot of lost time to make up for so I plan to be in there quite a bit.

 

Organized chaos. 
There really is rhyme and reason to all my little piles 😉

That's it.  Not a bad first day in my opinion.

 

16 comments:

  1. So I am super excited for you and hoping for a post going into details on your decision making process. My husband retired effective Jan 1 this year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! It sounds like a lovely first day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perfect first day! I tell people "I do what I want, when I want, if I want". :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Best wishes on your new life of freedom!- Kathryn

    ReplyDelete
  5. What happened?? Did they offer you a buyout to retire early? Please tell!

    'Orange' you glad you retired, though. (You'll see what I mean today, if you haven't already.) Something for your prepper pantry -- and to remind you that your friends are glad for you, and cheering you on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like a great first day! So happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly how you feel! I didn't choose to retire, but was laid off in July 2020 due to the pandemic. But it was the BEST thing that ever happened to me! My husband was all for me going ahead and retiring....so I did! I too threw out all the work "stuff" and redid my quilting room and have enjoyed EVERY minute ever since. ENJOY...you deserve it! There is so much life to enjoy outside of work. I'm happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are only so many hours in a day. I'd better get busy!

      Delete
  8. I loved reading about your first day. You did what I would have (will do). Clear away the old and start in on the new.
    When I finally get to retire (in 7 years); I plan to spend the first week, doing only what I want to do. (and probably feeding a retired-from-the-factory/Still-Farming Farmer.)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.