Friday, May 13, 2022

Time Blocking

 


Time blocking is where you create a written schedule and block out a set time of day for certain tasks.  It is an interesting concept and one I've used on occasion whenever I've needed to be super productive and get a lot of things accomplished within a designated period of time.  At that time I was trying to do a time budget so I would be able to get those things done and not waste my time.  My main goal was usually to make the most of my weekends or vacation time and really get things done.

 


Now I'm looking at time blocking with a new set of eyes as a useful tool for retirement.  Not that I want to be uber productive, but I don't want to waste my days.  I want them to be fulfilling and I want to make sure the things I want to accomplish happen.  The last thing I want is for my days to slip away from me.  Sadly, I see that happen to a lot of my retired friends and relatives.  I do not want to sit on the couch and watch Judge Judy all day.  For me that would be the beginning of the end.

 


One issue I have is that when I get going on a project I just keep going.  I forget to eat, drink or stop to rest.  I'll even put off going to the bathroom.  I'm just that focused on the matter at hand.  I am learning to pace myself and allow myself time to get things done.  I am no longer confined to just a weekend or a few vacations days so things are not as pressing.  I have broader finishing dates.  On the other hand, I don't want to get in the habit of pushing things off or procrastinating either.  And, most importantly, I don't want to forget to do something.  That has always been a bit of a struggle for me.

 


Time blocking can be done on an hourly, daily, weekly or even a monthly basis.  I am doing a daily time block.  I created a form in Excel (which I'd be happy to share) so I can edit it as I need to.  I am working in two and three hour timeframes and my "schedule" is pretty broad.  I just want to accomplish things within that block of time, but I can define it more if I need to.  I've been tinkering with it for a few months now to come up with just the right method that will work for me and then I implemented it on May 1st.  I gave myself permission to take it easy and just do whatever I felt like in April, but after a couple weeks I was over it.  I was ready to have a schedule and develop my new routines.

 


Time blocking needs to be individual and flexible in order to be effective.  I will definitely need to tweak it from time to time as things develop and change, and that is completely okay.  So far it seems to be working very well for me and I'm quite pleased with it.  If you would like a workable copy of my Excel spreadsheet you can email me:  tireless.retirement@gmail.com.  I will be happy to send you one to tweak and make your own.

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a "written" schedule but I do utilize a daily "must do".
    1. I have to take a major step on a quilt (1. Work on the hand stitching of binding 2. Prep all 3 layers of one and get it all loaded on the machine 3. Quilt the one loaded 4. Make and apply a binding.
    2. Take 2 walks every day. My goal is 10,000 steps minimum.
    3. Make dinner.
    4. Check refrigerator to assure there is no food waste.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.