Wednesday, June 8, 2022

My Year One Retirement Plan

 


When I decided to retire an entire year early I made a deal with myself and my family to take one full year "off".  As part of that deal I also made the decision not to make any big life altering decisions.  Right now I just need to focus on myself and my recovery.  I want to improve my health to the best of my ability, both mentally and physically, particularly my stress levels, my physical strength and endurance and my energy levels.

 


This is also my year to get caught up on all of the projects and things I had planned to do last year.  Primarily, I'm completely re-landscaping our entire yard.  That was the plan whether I was working or not so I'm sticking to that one.  Mainly because I really want this.  And!  I'm having a ton of fun with it, which brings me to another point.  This year I'm focusing a lot of attention on things that bring me a lot of joy.

 


Because I retired one year ahead of schedule I need to be extra frugal, not only this year but also next year, to compensate for the loss of a year's income that I had initially factored into my original plan.  Fortunately I had most of my preparations completed and extra cash in the bank so I do feel this is a manageable goal despite the current rise in fuel, groceries and practically everything else.

 


No plans are set in stone because I know I need to be flexible and willing to make changes if needed in order to be successful.  While I'm implementing every money saving measure I can at this time I also know that if I need to do something else I will do it.  As I sit right now I doubt that will be necessary.  I plan to coast through the next year and enjoy the heck out of my home and the fact that I get to spend a considerable amount of time in it.  I'm thrilled to be able to do that right now.

 

4 comments:

  1. YEA for 1 year of no commitments! You'll not have regrets about this :-)

    I had decided nothing for 5 months, and for the following 7 months I had concert tickets x4 and 3 trips. AND, Covid hit. So I had 2 years of no commitments although after getting my vaccines, I did fly/attend 2 family weddings! And I got my 2nd knee replacement. I am nearing the end of year 3. I'm really loving "the slow life". I started a serious walking program and walked 165 miles in May. Loving my new knee :-) I walk to the library, I walked the 5.5m round trip to the dentist a few weeks ago. As far as my monthly errands that's about it for walkable but that's OK.

    I have no doubt you'll hit your goals while you enjoy the journey of restoring your body, soul and mind. Namaste'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. COVID threw a monkey wrench in a lot of plans, that's for sure!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like you are on the right track for you. I am so glad you are enjoying your retirement and your home.

    I made the Wacky Carrot Cake for my sewing group yesterday and they loved it! Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.