Friday, July 8, 2022

Depression Era - Creamed Tuna (SOS)

 


I don't know about you but I grew up on creamed tuna on toast, my dad grew up on it and my grandmother did too.  Now I remember my dad always called it $h!t on a shingle and although as kids we weren't allowed to call it that it was rarely referred to as creamed tuna on toast at our house.  My grandmother called it that too and we loved it.  I preferred my grandmother's version the best.  Not just because she added frozen peas and sliced hard boiled eggs to it but also because she made it.  My father hates peas so my mom always left them out and it just depended on whether or not she would add the eggs.  My mom said it didn't matter how many people showed up for dinner at my grandmother's house, apparently she would just add more milk and make more toast and off that one can of tuna she'd make sure everyone got some.  I hadn't had this in a good long time, but recently I made some to go over some leftover biscuits I had and it was a hit.  I'm adding it back to my regular menu plan.  How about you?  Anyone else out there remember this gem?

 

12 comments:

  1. Not sure I’d like that. Lol. I agree with your dad telling: peas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What fun memories! Seems like so many of my memories are tied to food and family.
    I don't remember my Mom ever fixing creamed tuna though. I remember her fixing creamed chipped beef on toast a few times. That stuff is crazy expensive now though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funny, my dad never liked the chipped beef version so I've never had it myself. I do know that stuff is really pricey now.

      Delete
  3. I've eaten and like both versions, thanks for the reminder will be adding to my meal rotation as the fresh peas are ripening and will be comfort food for fall & winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mom made creamed tuna with peas over noodles. It was a family fav. I haven't made it in 40 years but I am this week. Thanks, Tracy

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've definitely had it before (along with chipped beef on toast) & do not enjoy either of them! Haven't had it since I was living at home with my parents. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So funny how some people love it and others are NO WAY! ;)

      Delete
  6. Yes! I fixed it often when my sons were growing up. Never put peas or eggs in it, but I am sure it's good.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.