Wednesday, September 28, 2022

Making Fall Pillow Covers

 


I had shared with you that a couple weeks ago I went to Hobby Lobby for some fun goodies, one of which was a yard of this adorable fall themed fabric to make some pillow covers for my living room.  These are super easy and very inexpensive to make.  You can make up a couple of these in no time.

 


I began by cutting my yardage in half up the crease lengthwise right along the fold to make two equal sized pieces.  Then with an iron I turned over and pressed 1/4" along the top and bottom edge of one piece and straight stitched across that fold.  Then I turned it over and pressed again 3/4" along the top and bottom and straight stitched 5/8" from the edge across the top and bottom making a neat hem for the pocket of the pillow cover.

 

Simply hem the top and bottom edges

Once I had done both ends I pressed the entire piece then folded the top down 11 inches, right sides together, and the bottom up 9 inches so they overlapped.  I pinned along the sides and then stitched straight down on each side using a 5/8" seam allowance making sure I caught any selvage edge inside my seams.

 

Only two hems and two side seams

You can trim your side seams with pinking shears if you are concerned about them fraying

Lastly I turned the cover inside out making sure to get the corners nicely turned out.  You can clip the corners if necessary to make them crisp, especially if you use a thicker fabric.  I gave the cover a nice press before inserting my pillow form inside.  Just repeat the same steps with the other piece to make a second cover.

 

A travel pillow I had purchased at Wal-Mart

The pillow easily slips inside

I use travel size pillows as my pillow form for these covers.  You can find them at most Wal-Marts and on Amazon.  I have Christmas themed covers made too.  The fabric was on sale for $4.99 a yard so two pillow covers at that price is a bargain making it very affordable to make a cover for each of the holidays all year long. 

 


If you are interested in another pillow project I have made click here.  Happy sewing!

 

 

2 comments:

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.