Friday, October 14, 2022

Putting Some Prepped Foods To The Test - Pot Roast Dinner

 


Sometimes I just want a nice pot roast dinner and on a Sunday a couple weeks ago I got that hankering.  It just sounded so good and, as luck would I have it, I happened to have one sitting in my long term storage pantry.  Earlier this year I had canned some pot roasts with Au Jus and beef broth in pint jars with the idea that I could heat that up and add a little cornstarch slurry to make a gravy from the juices and broth in the jars.  This summer I had canned potatoes and carrots in pint jars with the idea that these would make a great side dish.  But!  Would it taste good?

 

I just emptied the jar into a pan to heat up and added a 
slurry of cornstarch and water to make gravy

This is all part of my experiment with my long term food storage options for quick meals I could make, even if for some reason we had a power outage.  Also, I wanted to have some meals ready to go for travel and camping.  A pot roast dinner was on my list of the meals I wanted put up in the long term pantry.  It is one of my very favorites.

 

After heating up the potatoes and carrots I simply mash them with a fork

It was super easy to put this meal together and it heated up quite quickly so perfect for a camp stove scenario.  I used two saucepans and while I waited for the meat to heat up I mixed up a cornstarch slurry to add to the pint jar of meat and broth.  As it heated up it formed a nice gravy with beef chunks.  I simply used a fork to mash up some of the vegetables I heated up in the second pan.  I placed them in a dish and then put the gravy and beef over top.  I could also have heated it all in one pan and made a nice stew.

 

A pantry pot roast dinner that was just as delicious as I had hoped for

Now for the taste test.  I can tell you, it was amazing.  Every bit as good as if I had made it that day in my slow cooker like I usually do when I prepare a pot roast.  I was actually surprised, especially by how well the potatoes held up to the canning process.  I am very happy to have these types of meal options in my long term food storage.

 

6 comments:

  1. Awesome. and it looks delicous! Win!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you shared how you canned the beef? Was it raw packed? Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not, but it is raw packed in beef broth seasoned with Au Jus packets and I canned it in a pressure cooker.

      Delete
  3. I wish I knew how to can AND have the room to store the stuff

    ReplyDelete
  4. I started pressure canning this year and I agree, potatoes on the pantry shelf are So convenient. I also have canned roast and will be canning the carrots I grew and just pulled this afternoon. Either an easy supper or gift for someone in need.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.