Wednesday, October 12, 2022

I Built A Composting Toilet!

 


I'm very proud of my latest project.  I built myself a composting camp toilet!  I've wanted to build this for ages.  As I get older I need a little more glamp when I camp and squatting behind a bush isn't for me anymore.  Campground outhouses aren't my favorite thing either.  They stink.  Composting toilets do not.

 

I raided my wood stash in my garage and found everything I needed

I have been shopping around for a long time for a camp privy, however they're expensive, a little on the rickety side and not that great of quality to stand the test of time.  I don't want to throw my money away on something that isn't going to last or isn't stable.  No one wants to fall off the potty.

 

I predrilled every nail hole so I didn't split any wood
and used wood glue for extra strength

Well, if you want something done right you better do it yourself.  So that is what I did.  I wanted something compact, lightweight and easy to maneuver, easy to empty, easy to clean, easy to use and not ugly or obvious that it's a toilet.  That's a pretty tall order.

 


I'm so pleased because I was able to tick off all the boxes and I am so proud of myself for pulling it off.  To be honest, the reason I put off building this for so long was because I wasn't sure I could do it.  Over the years however, I've put a lot of thought into this build.  By the time I was ready to start this project I was feeling pretty good about how I was going to do this.

 

Checking the fit of the bucket before adding the front and back cleats


The biggest thing I'm proud of is that I built this whole thing with stuff I already had in my garage.  Even the bucket.  The plywood came from the FREE WOOD bin near where I used to work and has been in my garage for quite a while, patiently waiting.  I have so much trim that I had also gleaned from the FREE WOOD bin as well as some leftover 2" X 2" scrap wood from when I rebuilt our gate several years ago.  Did I need to put trim on this pooper?  Of course not, but I did it anyway.

 

I could have totally left this as a plywood box, but I had to add some trim 😁


The bucket is one of three buckets I had bought at Dollar Tree a long time ago.  I've used it to mop my floors so it is in good shape and pretty clean.  I now use a gallon sized ice cream bucket so I no longer need this one for mopping floors.  If I do need a bucket I've got two more in the garage.

 

Jack was my assistant on this project
After rolling around in the sawdust he wanted in the house

I suggested he stay out in the garage with me so he took
refuge on top of the freezer

The "Alaska toilet seat" is made of foam packing material for a printer we got at work.  I had brought that home quite some time ago and had planned to use it in my motorhome, but it turned out I didn't need to.

 



I had hinges and screws in my coffee can of "miscellaneous" items.  Every time I have leftover screws, brackets or other little doo dads I put them in that can in case I will need them later on another project.  That can has saved me on so many projects.  Not only does it save me money, but it also saves me from having to make an extra trip to the hardware store.

 

Fits like a glove!

Such a good helper!

I used wood glue and finish nails to put this together, again things I already had on hand.  When I was done I used sandpaper I had to give it a good once over.  No slivers allowed!  Then I used some leftover stain and an old rag to finish it.

 

I added some feet to the bottom

And a lid to the top

The final touch was to use two chair slides that have been in my toolbox for at least twenty years to make stops for the lid to rest on and a wooden bead from my craft supplies to make a cute little handle to lift the lid with.  It looks kind of fancy, but it's just a bead.

 

All sanded and stained

Finished!

The seat lifts off to easily remove the bucket and there is enough room to stash extra bags in there as well.  When not in use I can keep a gallon sized bag filled with pine shavings and a roll of toilet paper inside the bucket which is lined with nice clean bags making it a self contained unit.  Pretty handy for storage.

 

A gallon bag filled with pine shavings


Having this little honey bucket is going to be so nice when I go camping next time.  Also, if we were to ever have a sewer issue I have a backup crapper to use.  Our neighborhood is older and we have a lot of big trees.  Some of my neighbors have had to have their sewer lines repaired due to invading tree roots and that takes time.  Should that happen to me I won't be displaced from my home because I can't use my flush toilet.  I'm hoping I won't need it for that, but you never know.  I'd rather use it for camping.

 

The top

I put handles on the side to make it easy to carry

I am just thrilled with how it all turned out.  I had so much building this and I don't think it is at all obvious as to what it is.  I'm so happy with my little potty!

10 comments:

  1. I LOVE IT!! We camped a few times a year or so ago and this would have been perfect! You are so smart!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very much looking forward to taking this on my next campout.

      Delete
  2. Your projects never cease to amaze me! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great job!!!
    I think that I am getting too old for roughing it, but your potty would definitely make camping better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are such a funny girl! From doll clothes to potties...

    I'm guessing you're planning a side use for this in your RV, too. It's a bear to empty that black tank. Even with care (and using the Mexican method for used toilet paper), we generally have to empty the black tank every 1 1/2 weeks. (Husband does, that is.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, the black tank......

      Now I need to make a doll potty! LOL

      Delete
  5. We don't camp but living in the country, we do have power outages. We just got a generator but I have buckets and pool noodles for the edges for a potty, should we need it.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.