Monday, October 10, 2022

My Tireless Retirement - Week 27

 


Helloooooo!  A lot of people have expressed interest in how I do my slow cooker meatloaf.  It is super simple.  Just make your favorite meatloaf recipe, line your slow cooker with a sheet of aluminum foil (not required), set the meatloaf inside and put the lid on.  Set your slow cooker on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 4 hours and you are good to go.  It is really that simple.  I like the foil because I can grab the edges and lift it out onto a plate when it is finished cooking.  It makes it really easy to get out of the slow cooker that way.

 


This past week was filled with relaxing creativity.  I spent a great deal of time in my craft room making stuff and it was a lot of fun.  I made some journals that I'm thinking about selling because I think they would make great Christmas gifts.  Speaking of, I got a lot of stuff from the Etsy shop listed over on my eBay store.  I still have a lot more to get listed, but I got a really good start.

 

I had quite a collection of spent candles in my hall closet

I rounded up all of my spent candles, loaded up my largest slow cooker and got all of that extra wax melted down.  It gave me enough to make a nice large candle.  I also had a candle I had made last time I did this using a wood wick, but it wouldn't burn so I melted it down and redid it with a regular wick this time.  Now I have two really nice candles to enjoy, both of which were basically made out of garbage.  I also put all the empty glass candle containers into the recycle bin in my garage for the next time I drop off at the glass collection center.

 


It is getting cooler at night although our days have been in the low 80s and high 70s.  Unseasonably warm for our area this time of year, but I have zero complaints about that.  I put the flannel sheets back on my bed but have yet to add my winter blanket.  So far I haven't needed to turn on any heat and the A/C units have been put away so I'm hopeful for another low power bill this month.

 


The first of October is the time to grab my final quarterly housekeeping checklist for the year.  I think I did really well on the last one.  I finished almost all of the tasks and now that I've started over I can focus on completing the ones I didn't last time and move forward.  No pressure and definitely no guilt that I didn't finish everything on the list.

 


Along with the crafting I also worked on some home maintenance chores around the house and did my first big leaf clean up filling an entire bin full of leaves.  The leaves have begun to change color and drop to the ground so I know winter is on its way.  I also know there will be loads of leaves for me to clean up over the next couple of months.  Plenty of things yet to keep me busy

 


So many wonderful comments last week, thank you very much.  I sure do love hearing from you.  The winner of the greeting card giveaway is Mandy!  Congratulations Mandy!  Use the contact form on the right and let me know what your address is so I can get these out to you this week.  Hurray for our first giveaway!  I might be sneaking some other giveaways into my posts, you just never know, kind of like an Easter egg hunt.  That's one way to get you to read my gibberish and follow me along, Ha!

 

I dined on homemade "TV dinners" all week - delish!

I hope you all enjoyed a lovely week and everyone is happy and healthy.  Let me know what kept you busy.

 

6 comments:

  1. My husband is a low carb'er and sometimes I get tired of figuring out what meat to cook. I am definitely going to try the slow cooker meatloaf. At the time that I purchased monthly theme cards from you, I was participating in a chemo angel card ministry, where I would send a weekly card to a chemo patient or someone who was older and "shut in". I used your cards for her and she just loved them. You do nice work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for saying that and I'm glad your recipients enjoyed them. Try the meatloaf in the slow cooker. It will be nice and juicy, not to mention easy! :)

      Delete
  2. Glad you are enjoying retirement. I'm intrigued by your procedure for the candles. Could you elaborate? Such as how you protect your crock pot, where do your purchase wicks and how exactly did you rig up the wicks to stand? I hate to throw out the ends sometimes there is a lot of wax left. Thank you in advance ! Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a great candle maker, but I've done a couple posts about what I do with my wax scraps. It's fun. Hope these help:
      https://thriftymominboise.blogspot.com/2013/02/thrifty-homemade-candles.html
      https://thriftymominboise.blogspot.com/2019/05/making-candle.html

      Delete
  3. I am so excited! I sent an email to your email address. Now I’m drooling over your cards in your eBay store!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.