Wednesday, November 2, 2022

Recession Proofing Christmas

 


This year is going to be much different than in years past.  For one thing, I will most likely be on my own this year.  It is a first for me and I'm actually looking forward to it.  Something different.  And for another thing, things have become really expensive and postage rates are higher than they have ever been before.  I could easily spend more on shipping than I did on the gift I am sending.  Over the years I've been steadily whittling away and scaling back on the whole gift giving at Christmas thing.  Open conversations with friends and family got this ball rolling quite a while ago.  This year seems especially difficult for so many people right now as far as finances go, but I still want everyone on my list to have something under their tree.

 


So what do I plan to do?  In a nutshell, not much, but that doesn't have to mean I am doing nothing, it just means I'm not spending much.  I always try to make sure my gifts are useful and meaningful.  Here are some ideas of what I have given in the past.

 

You can easily fit a couple baking mixes inside and wrap it up

Dish towels, dish cloths, scrub sponges & potholders - these items wear out and right now people are less apt to replace these items.  A nice selection of these items would likely be well received.  If you are crafty and have a stash of fabric start there. 

Candles - I purchased a gob of Christmas themed candles a couple years ago on clearance after the holidays and put them aside, but right now I noticed these same candles have been on sale. 

Gift cards - I use my rewards points from my credit card to redeem for various gift cards.  In fact, this year I am planning to give one of these gift cards tucked inside one of my handcrafted Christmas cards as the gift for each of my children.  Also, watch for sales and special offers on gift cards at stores and restaurants. 

Food gifts - cheese, crackers and summer sausage purchased at the grocery store, a jar of mixed nuts or homemade snack mix, an assortment of baked goods using items you already have in your pantry.  A bottle of wine or spirits, a six pack of their favorite beer or soda.  A meal that includes pasta, sauce, parmesan and a loaf of French bread. 

Baking dishes - I've given a nice Pyrex pan with a lid along with a box of brownie or dessert mix I pulled out of my pantry.  A pie plate with a homemade pie baked inside and a note telling them to keep the dish as a gift.  Baking sheets with cookie mixes, muffin pans with a box of muffin mix or a bundt pan or cake pan with a cake mix and tub of frosting. 

Family gifts - instead of individual gifts consider giving a family gift instead like a board game, Farkle or a card game, jigsaw puzzles, movie tickets or a DVD and some microwave popcorn, or simply an invitation to come over for dinner. 

Coupons - handmade coupons for a home cooked meal or a nice dessert, babysitting, grass mowing and trimming, leaf raking, a carwash, oil change, help with a project, time spent visiting, etc.

 

I think this is pretty clever

I think we just need to put on our thinking caps and get creative this year.  We can still have a nice Christmas and not break the bank, recession or not.  Are any of these ideas helpful?

 

12 comments:

  1. These are great ideas. I love receiving consumable gifts. They are throughtful and we don't have to dust them. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the idea of a dinner invitation ! Love reading your blog too !

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought 3 gifts so far but really have no idea what else I’ll do. I’m recovering from knee replacement surgery and it’s not been easy. At this point I don’t want to leave the house

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you a bit, that is a major surgery. I've got some more ideas coming, perhaps that will help. Take care and praying for a speedy recovery.

      Delete
  4. These are very helpful ideas, yes. But I've gone one step further -- I only send 'media rate' presents to family out of town. DVDs, CDs and books all count. I will buy them used sometimes -- but they always go media rate. Soooo much cheaper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your gift ideas! Thank you!
    I try to think of a funny way to give my nephew cash for Christmas each year, and I think I will try your m&m candy jar with money hidden in a baggie inside this year. Last year I gave him some Emeril spices, but I reused an empty spice jar with money inside, and I put my nephews face on the jar. He got a kick out of it anyway. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. My youngest ask for a chance to ski an extra day this winter. He has the right idea, as we already have ski passes. We will need to pay for gas, but I'd much rather get him a day of "experience" vs something he'll forget about in a few days.

    Great list of ideas!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.