Monday, January 2, 2023

My Tireless Retirement - Week 39 - A Brand New Year!

 


Happy New Year everyone!  2023 has arrived.  Are you ready to have a great year?  I sure am!  It is going to be spectacular!  Can you believe this blog is one year old already?  It's true.

 


I've been ruthlessly decluttering my home because I don't need as much stuff as I used to now that I'm an empty nester.  If I don't like it, don't need it or don't use it, it's gone.  In the process I've been able to take what is left and reorganize it by category - like with like.  I thought I had already done that last year, but as I've been going through the house I've gathered up so many things that were totally out of place.  I don't even know, but finally having things grouped together should make it much easier to find the things I need now, especially with my craft and sewing projects.

 

Simple, healthy & delicious meals

I have loads of plans and ideas for how I am going to feed myself this year and I'm super, super excited about it.  My goal is to spend as little as possible while making delicious meals I want to eat, while I amp up the nutrition, minimize any food waste and still manage to entertain guests in my home from time to time.  I also want to contribute to our local food bank and neighborhood food pantries.  Lofty aspirations, but I'm pretty confident I can do this.

 

I'll be gathering up all the old tech and taking it in to the recycling center

There are two replacement items I've got to work on this year, a new computer as my eleven year old laptop is getting old and it is actually the exterior that is breaking down now.  The cover is crumbling and brittle to the point I can no longer close it and one of the hinges broke so I have a giant binder clip holding it together at the moment.  I don't feel there is any point to funneling anymore money into it.  I was hoping for another year, but I don't think that is possible now.  It has also hit the age where Microsoft and Chrome are no longer supporting the guts inside so that has forced the issue as well.  Gotta love that about modern technology, but like all things in live,  in order to evolve we must change.

 

My camera has been acting up lately

The other thing I have to replace is my digital camera.  I use it constantly to take photos for the blog so it is a pretty necessary item and the one I currently use is starting to give me problems.  You may have noticed some blurry photos here and there.  It has been struggling.  I've had it a good long while as well and it was a refurbished one.  I think I've managed to get my monies worth out of both the laptop and the camera.  If I'm going to continue blogging I'm going to have to bite the bullet and get these things upgraded.

 

Little luxuries greatly improve our quality of life

Even though I will be looking for new and better ways to economize and spend less money I'm also challenging myself to improve my quality of life at the same time.  No easy feat I'm sure, however it is a challenge I'm excited to take on.  In the past few years I've given myself a monthly allowance, something I often refer to as pocket money, but I rarely seem to spend it.  This year I'm going to cut that allowance in half to $25 per month and I'm actually going to try to spend it.  This is an allotment of spending money that I can use on whatever I wish at the moment with no explanation or justification required.  I've often spent it on wine or chocolate and last year I used it to go to the discount movie theater too.  This year we shall see what piques my interest.  I'm sure there will be more wine.  And chocolate.

 


Last month, to get myself motivated, I started asking myself a question each day.  "What beautiful thing can I do today".  That one simple question worked wonders in getting me to go into the craft room or the kitchen.  It got me to send cards and letters or emails to people, it motivated me to do some goal planning, research stuff, learn something new and start my decluttering project an entire month early.  I'm going to keep asking myself this question each day.  I want a lot of beautiful things in my life (not necessarily material things either) and what a great way to make it happen.

 


Most of us will agree, we've been through a bit of a rough patch the past few years and the only way for any of it to get better is for us to do something.  Every little positive thing we do helps immensely.  It creates a ripple effect.  Let's make our goal this year to create a beautiful life for ourselves and in doing so we'll create a beautiful life for those around us.  People are naturally attracted to and inspired by beauty.  It's a simple thing really.  So let me ask you this.  What beautiful thing can you do today?


12 comments:

  1. Happy New Year to you, my friend!

    I would recommend a good IPhone, instead of getting a new digital camera. The technology is much better than it used to be. Example: my publisher 'required' digital camera photos -- but the Brick took all the photos he provided for my last two books on... you guessed it...his IPhone. And they look great. Just a thought.

    My 'beautiful thing today' was getting up early to let Ruby the dog out -- and letting the Brick sleep in. He is very kind about doing this, then making coffee while I luxuriate in bed. This morning, he gets to do it, instead.
    I'll also tidy up around here -- and spend some time talking to an appraiser buddy in Albuquerque, who has some questions. Not much, but something.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well done my lady! I'm sure he appreciated it. Let's keep that ball rolling! Happy New Year to you!

      I personally do not care to use my phone for photos, that's just me. I know most people that is all they use and that is great. IPhones do a wonderful job.

      Delete
  2. Happy New Years. Love your goals..
    Enjoying your blog.
    I am coming along with my decluttering. Got all bedrooms and BR closets done. Heading to living room, dining room, then kitchen.[worse room, 😆]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's great Judy. It will feel so good once you are done. :o)

      Delete
  3. I have been reading your blog(s) for quite some time, but seldom comment. I just want to say now how much I enjoy your posts. You are so motivated and productive. I never tire of reading about how much you accomplish in a week. Your positivity and frugality is a gift and truly inspiring,

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great question to ponder each day! Sounds like you’ve made some great goals. And I’m with you on the improving your quality of life. That’s something I am working on for sure this year, I hope you can find a laptop and camera that you are happy with for a great price! I can’t wait to see what you come up with for meals this year. I sure learn a lot from you! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you want to improve your quality of life Mandy. We need to thrive rather than just survive. Happy New Year my friend!

      Delete
  5. A question: I've been reading your blogs for a few years now and I'm sure you addressed this but I am not remembering. Before your health concerns and while you were working, (and raising your children); did you spend much time on decluttering, crafting, you-time or was it day to day until retirement gave you the time to do these things? I'm still working FT plus gardening/canning/preserving and helping the Farmer in the warm months. I have NO time to do the decluttering or fun me time (quilting, card making, crocheting, antiquing) on a regular basis. Just wondering if I need to suck it up and wait for retirement in 5 years? Thanks for your imput. (PS No time to do it now as I work more than 40 hours at my job and my home-life is full with the above and grandchildren.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to "do it all, but it was a little here and a little there and I ran myself ragged. No wonder I had a heart attack. It was madness. Don't pressure yourself to do more than you can comfortably do in one day. More importantly, enjoy the people in your life, especially those grandchildren. :)

      Delete
  6. This is a really inspiring post - its one of the things I love about the New Year in that you get a fresh slate to decide which direction in life you want to go. I've been doing a lot of purging and organizing since my husband died, mostly out of necessity. But now its a luxury - I get to think about what I want specifically and make things work in my home the way that benefit me. I also like the idea of making a plan for changing your mindset - you and I seem like kindred spirits! Off to read more of your blog...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Gina. I'm so glad you found my blog and we get to be friends. :o)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.