Monday, February 27, 2023

My Tireless Retirement - Week 47

 


Hello everyone!  If it sounds like my weeks are a constant stream of pantry challenges, decluttering, organizing and canning food, they are.  It just happens to be the phase of life I am in right now.  I'm not one to be happy sitting on my rump watching television for hours on end so I've got to keep myself busy and while it has been a lot of repetition the results have been pretty amazing.  I hope this stuff doesn't bore you too much, but in the final weeks of winter there isn't too much else going on at the moment, you know?  I'm sure a lot of you find yourselves in a similar boat at this time too.  I just finished filling up my fifth bag of donations this month and I don't think I'm done.  I keep finding stuff which is AOK with me.

 

I went back through all of my crafting supplies and eliminated another box of stuff

I made another pass through my craft supplies as well as my office supplies and added enough stuff to top off bag #5 for the month.  I will have quite the pile to take to the thrift store pretty soon.  I also have a dresser to find a new home for so I will put that up on Facebook and gift it to someone.  I have gone through all of the cleaning and laundry supplies upstairs in my linen closet and those look pretty good.  I definitely have enough to last for a couple of years I would guess and some to share if I find someone in need.  I also made another pass through my bathroom toiletries and got rid of a few more items I no longer need or use.

 

A dresser to rehome

I did not do any canning this week, however I did make some more meals based on items I could use up in my pantry, fridge and freezer.  I finished up a head of cabbage and my last carrot I had purchased at the beginning of the year and made a big bowl of Asian Chicken Salad which I enjoyed for three good meals.  I also pulled breakfast sausages from the freezer and cooked those up for four breakfasts with toast from a homemade loaf of bread.  My veggies last week also included frozen peas & carrots and frozen green beans.  I added a can of pineapple slices from the pantry to my brunches.  I also made a point to finish up the leftovers from meals I prepared the week before.

 


Our weather was pretty yucky so I stayed home and worked on a lot of my projects I have going on around the house.  I stayed super busy and time literally got away from me.  Before I knew it another week had passed.  I am constantly amazed by that.  Someone mention they couldn't imagine I would stay home for three weeks and not go anywhere, but honestly I've got a lot going on to occupy my time and fortunately friends who stop by or call so I take a break from time to time.  Before I realize it another week has flown by.  I'm having a lot of fun though!

 

I made these spring rolls to use up some veggies and Chinese mustard I had
in the fridge and rice wrappers that were in my pantry

What have you been doing during these last weeks of winter?  I'm so very much looking forward to spring and warmer weather.  Right now it is that bleak stage of winter where it is chronically gray and chilly.  I just try to stay warm, stay busy and stay positive because I know eventually it will change.  I hope you are all doing well.  Take care my friends!

 

8 comments:

  1. I’ve never posted a reply but I wanted to say thanks for your blogs, you inspire me. I’ve been working on using things from the pantry and freezer, and closely keeping track of our spending.

    Debra in TN

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debra for your kind comment and I'm so happy you are tagging along with me. Pantry challenges are fun, aren't they?

      Delete
  2. I enjoy your blog. Was wondering how your girls are? Do they visit during breaks? Haven't heard about them for a while. Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have a recipe for the spring rolls? And any tips on how to handle those delicate rice wrappers? Would love to hear your experience with them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are tricky to work with and I'm not sure I will get them again. I used my egg roll in a bowl recipe: https://simplyaketolifestyle.blogspot.com/2021/07/chicken-egg-roll-in-bowl.html

      Delete
  4. We are in a different life phase, so lots of sports practices, SAT/college prep, high school tennis, & plenty of driving! It's fun, but busy. I always do some sort of pantry/freezer challenge in the winter months, and was able to (intentionally) whittle our stash of prepped & frozen meals from about 25 to 3. It's nice to work through everything.

    For this month, I'm working more on open jars of things we rarely use in the fridge, and perhaps a few pantry items.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are where I was about a year ago. OMG was I ever a busy mama! I've just about worked through the open jars in the fridge and pantry. Love that! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.