Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Spending LESS $$ - Clothing

 


After going through my closet on more than one occasion I've thinned things down much further than I had ever imagined.  I don't need much and after taking an inventory the only things I came up with to purchase this year is a pair of summer sport sandals and some hiking pants with the zip off legs so they can become shorts.  I could also use a new pair of pajama bottoms to replace a pair that are starting to wear out.  Not too shabby!

 

I recently got rid of all this!
Since retiring I have gotten rid of half my wardrobe


Throughout my life I have found that owning less clothing overall not only saves me money but it makes my life easier.  Surprisingly, I do far less laundry too.  It is much easier for me to manage a small all season wardrobe than to have a closet filled with clothing.

 

If it doesn't fit, you don't wear it or you don't like it let it go

At the beginning of every year I go through the items I have, declutter anything I no longer need want or can use and then take stock of what is leftover.  I try to plan, well in advance, for any replacement items so I have time to not only research and find whatever I need but also to obtain that item at the best possible price and of the best quality.

 

Take advantage of sales cycles to get the items you need and save $$
Shop intentionally and with purpose, not for entertainment

When I was working I had a planned replacement to purchase one pair of slacks, one top, one bra and one pair of shoes each year.  I would routinely purchase those items during certain sales and clearance sales and I also used gift cards that were either given to me or I had redeemed for free using my credit card rewards points.  There were some years I never actually paid money for my clothes.  Other years I spent very little.

 

Clearance racks will often have what you need at half price or even more
Outlet stores are a great place to shop if you can't wait for a sale

Now that I am retired I find I tend to wear the same things on a routine basis so I need even fewer items in my closet.  My clothing is more geared toward yard work, home projects, arts & crafts and outdoor activities like camping and hiking.  I now have a planned replacement for one top, one pair of bottoms, one bra, one pair of shoes, if needed.  I also purchase socks, underwear, pajamas and outerwear as needed, but I find that isn't necessarily something I need to do every year as those things tend to last me a while.  The benefits of purchasing quality items over quantity.

 

4 comments:

  1. I follow a blogger in Maine who wears the same long sleeve shirt every day. Each year she orders 12.

    I go back and forth on "do I keep it because eventually what I am wearing will wear out and then I won't have to buy new and it's money already spent", to "get rid of what you haven't worn this year". I have divested myself of much clothing but still have plenty!!! The struggle is real :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with your quality over quantity approach. I do the same. I'm still working so I do need to figure in a work wardrobe but try to keep it all minimal.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.