Friday, March 31, 2023

Laverne

 


Laverne was born in 1987 and I acquired her on her 30th birthday.  Since that day I had been working on her for quite a while sprucing her up, making some repairs and improvements to get her ready for my retirement.  In the past two years she has sat patiently waiting for me to get back to it after working my way back from my heart attacks and hospitalization in April of 2021.  It took much longer than I was expecting and at one point I was seriously considering having to sell her when my recovery stalled.  I was left tired and much weaker than I've ever been in my life and had concerns that I couldn't handle a motorhome anymore.  I feared I didn't have the strength and fortitude to finish what I had started or even to drive her.  Fortunately, my girl knew better than I (me?) as she sat proudly in my driveway waiting my return.

 


In January of this year I did return.  In the frigid cold I unlocked her door and stepped inside just to say hello and she was very happy to see me.  All of my hopes and dreams from the beginning of owning Laverne and why I purchased her in the first place flooded back to me.  She told me, "Don't give up, you can do this.  You don't need to be scared."  In my defective heart I knew she was right.  I had been allowing fears and doubts to creep in and as a result my confidence in myself and my own abilities had plummeted.

 


I was so close to having her done.  Tires.  That was the last big thing I needed to do and then in the spring, summer and fall of 2021 I was planning to take her on some adventures to sort out anything else that I might need or want to do.  And finish her stripes.  I was two thirds of the way through that project with only the driver's side left to complete.  Sadly, that didn't happen, I couldn't do it.  My cardiologist at the time told me it wasn't possible and instead I did a road trip (should've flown) to Rochester, Minnesota and spent two week sat the Mayo Clinic in October of 2021.  It was a grueling trip and I knew on my way back home that I needed to make some major changes in my life.  I began to get myself ready and on April 1, 2022 (April Fool's Day - seemed appropriate) I retired.

 


Initially, I spent the first six weeks of retirement just trying to settle down and get rested.  It proved to be rather difficult as I just could not seem to settle in.  In fact, I still struggle with it.  Then my youngest child graduated high school and within a couple of months she moved out on her own, however she didn't exactly do it in the nicest possible way, while my oldest left to New York for graduate school, also not in the nicest possible way.  Let's just say sometimes our children don't always assert their adultness with kindness.  At the same time I lost my best friend to ovarian cancer.  It was a hell of a couple of weeks, let me tell you.  I was pretty much shattered.

 


In my usual fashion I harbored all of the blame for this new situation with my children.  I always harbor the blame whenever things go wrong.  With any situation I always assume I did something to cause it and then I try to fix it, not understanding why I can't seem to make it better.  I've always been this way.  But, at the same time all of this was happening I was actually a month in with a new therapist (thank you Mayo Clinic for this recommendation) to sort out a lot of what I'd already been through.  Well, let me tell you, in the past eight months I've learned a lot.  About myself and about my children, my family and even my friends and past coworkers.  I've finally learned to accept that other people's actions and decisions are theirs and not my responsibility and I've finally learned to stop taking the blame for everything that goes wrong in life.

 


Life has taken some interesting twists and turns of late.  Some I was expecting, but some have taken me by complete surprise.  I do know, beyond all doubt, I am a good person, a hard worker, kind and generous, a great mom and an awesome friend.  I possess a great deal of integrity and high ethical standards.  I know I have worked really hard and done everything I could throughout my life to create the best possible outcome, whatever the situation might be, and I did a solid job raising my children with love and all they ever needed, plus many, many options to fulfill their greatest desires.  I feel really good about that and I hold my head up high.

 


So what does all of this have to do with Laverne?  Everything.  You see, I was seriously contemplating that I might need to sell her and let someone else enjoy her.  I had been considering it for quite awhile by that time.  Over Christmas my BFF said he didn't think I should sell her, but I had some doubts that I could do it, the traveling that is.  But then something changed inside of me.  Because on a cold day in January I realized something.  The time has come to get back to why I bought her in the first place.  I have always had a dream to load up and do some long term travel in an RV and Lord willing, that is what I intend to do.  I am going to finish what I started and I'm going to get on with my life.  



Laverne and I have things to do, places to go and people to see.  It is time for me to have the life in retirement I had always planned for myself.  It is time that I not be controlled by fear or by other people's actions.  It is time to regain that confidence I used to have, once upon a time, and get on with it.  It is my turn now, it is my life and I'm moving forward.  I'm ready to make it happen.  I'm ready to hit the road!

 

41 comments:

  1. I love this post so much! I think you should go live your life to the fullest! After all, God has given you time, so use it to the best of your ability. We only get one life and no one else is going to live it for you (they are too busy living their own lives). Fear is from Satan and he wants nothing more than to rob you of any joy you have coming. I hope you and Laverne have an amazing life together! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Debbie. I really appreciate your kind words.

      Delete
  2. I can just feel the positivity in you reading this post. I am so happy for you that you've realized so much about your worth. I am working on that myself. Good for you!! I'm anxiously waiting to hear about some of your road trips with Laverne.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard after a lifetime of sacrificing yourself to others to learn to turn that around and do it for yourself. We can do it though. XX

      Delete
  3. Well done of you! Congratulations! I have seen, as we get older, that we get more cautious and our worlds slowly get smaller until any change is hard on us, so I try to remember that and keep pushing! I used to read a blog called RV Sue (or something similar). She was out on her own for a few years in a RV after she retired, finally settled in Arizona…and her blog was fascinating. She had such a good spirit! Might be worth you looking for it, I will search and include a link if I can find it. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think my world has become small enough, thank you. I definitely need to branch out.

      Delete
  4. Hi, here is the link to RV Sue. http://rvsueandcrew.net/ Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
  5. (Little Penpen) yes!! I’ve always loved Laverne and your plans for her!! Start living it up, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a powerful post! I am so happy for you! I have struggled with very similar feelings! I'm still working on regaining my power. You have been an inspiration. I've been wondering about Laverne. GO YOU!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I gave up I'd always have regrets, I think. I'm sure of it.

      Delete
  7. First, I'm sorry your kids left in a less than wonderful way.

    More important, I'm glad you found a professional to walk you through to your present state of mental health. You've lived for your children since the first entered your life. How awesome you've arrived at this fork in the road to realize your dreams and celebrate your independence.

    Cheers to healthy safe travel!!!! Gooooooo Laverne :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so encouraging to hear the hope in your voice and the determination! Congrats, and I can't wait to follow along as you and Laverne make some great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So will the BFF be joining you on this adventure?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL That's funny. He's more of a hotel and airplane ride kind of fellow.

      Delete
  10. You go girl!!!
    Life is so short; get out there and live!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think it's wonderful that you and Laverne are going to hit the road for some adventures! I sure hope you'll take us along!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations to you and Laverne and GOOD FOR YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yayyyyyyy!!!!! When you hit Colorado, let us know. (We're out of town through April 16.)

    I have hope that things with your girls will improve. Our own girlies were not exactly complementary of our parenting skills, and made choices we didn't agree with. And they knew it. Time and patience has helped heal a lot of that, particularly with our oldest daughter. Don't give up. (I'm sure you wouldn't...but just wanted to say that.) They can and do grow up a lot eventually. But meantwhile, they can and do say things that hurt.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to remember how I was at their age and how happy my Dad was when I told him how smart he was and how dumb I had been. I think nearly everyone goes through it when they are out on their own at first.

      Delete
  14. Oh how exciting!! Can't wait to read about your new adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I could have written this exact story. We have a lot in common having adopted 2 girls from China and being single. My oldest graduated 1 year ago and left to go to school 3 hrs away. I literally sobbed everyday b/c I missed her so much. I would constantly call her and come to see her every other weekend. She is now very close to home and both she and I needed that. My sadness stems from not being able to move on b/c of the amazing time we had as a family over the last 18 years. I always say I would do it all over again. My youngest is 15 and in 3 years I will be alone. It is terrifying for me to think about it b/c I do not want to come home to an empty house. I do want to cook meals and wash their bed linens just like I have done all my life. What will I do then? I have some travelled ng plans, but I still will be working for 10 more years. My heart goes out to you. You have proven to yourself that you are strong and resilient. Maybe I will see you in my travels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you'll be okay. I don't miss the extra housework, laundry or cooking and I don't miss their jam packed schedules either. I just miss them. ;)

      Delete
  16. I am a homebody, love to be home, and think it’s great when anyone can be perfectly contented just to be home. I know you don’t share every detail of your life, but sometimes I worry that you spend too much time at home all alone now that you’ve retired. I think it’s great that you’re going to start adventuring, seeing new sights, and looking forward to some excitement! Lucky for you, you have Laverne so you’ll always be “home”. Have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your concern. I promise I do have an active social life and I do leave the house fairly often. :o)

      Delete
  17. Looks like fun adventures are ahead! I do hope you will share them with us if you can. I do know how hard it is after a health scare to get your confidence back and branch out again. I’m proud of you for going for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandy. I knew you would understand. Take care. :o)

      Delete
  18. I often say that parenting teens (I have two boys) is like being in a relationship with someone who is just not that into you. I'd never stand for a romantic relationship where someone was pushing their boundaries & testing me, and just so bullheaded & ALWAYS right/knows best, but teens are .... really trying to learn & grow, and often that means conflict. I adore my children & am already worried about what it will be like when they move on, but I also remember what an amazing experience that was for me, and how much closer I am to my parents & sister, now, years later. And yes, I most definitely thought I knew everything & my parents were "old geezers - in reality, they were early 40s!". I didn't listen to advice, and made so many mistakes. Mistakes that led me to where I'm at now. It's a hard part of growing up, and I know I hurt my parents along the way. I was actually a really, really well behaved teen, and once told my mom to shut up when we argued. I'm still ashamed of that, even though she probably wouldn't remember it, if I asked her about it now. She is an amazing mom, and I can't believe I was such an idiot. Anyway, my long winded way of saying... it takes a lot to develop independence, and most of us don't handle it gracefully. Hugs to you & the girls as you navigate all of this.

    On a separate point, love, love, love that you are making time to pursue your own dreams & again considering adventures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have loads of faith that everything will be okay. Experiences and getting a little bit older is a great teacher. ;)

      Delete
  19. Hi there, i’ve been following your blog for a little while and love all your great tips! I moved to France seven years ago and have always kind of had a pantry/stockpile. Sorry to hear that your daughters left with a little sadness, family relationships however close are never without their troubles but I hope you’re all on an even keel. I’m so interested in your future trips in Laverne, sounds like a lot of fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. So very happy for you. Proud your feeling better.have prayed for your recovery.
    Look forward to hearing about the beautiful sights you will see, the friends you will meet,and the many adventures that are headed your way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Judy. Your prayers are always appreciated.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.