Wednesday, March 29, 2023

How Much Do I Stockpile?

 


I am, and always have been, a firm believer in being as prepared as reasonably possible.  Having started out my adult life with minimal personal belongings and low wages while I raised my son and put myself through school I knew what it was like to have to go without something or to worry about having enough.  As soon as I was able I began to put away a little bit of this and that and create my first stockpile, which looking back was simply filling the cupboards with a decent amount of groceries and household items for everyday living.  So how much do I stockpile now?

 


My easy rule of thumb, depending on the item, is typically "one for now and two for later".  If it is something I use frequently I may stock more and if it is something I use very little I will stockpile less.

 


If I know I will eat four cans of green beans in one month I will stock four cans in my pantry and put eight in my long term food storage (LTFS).  I eat one can of pineapple a month so I stock one in the pantry and two in my LTFS.  Same with peaches, pears, fruit cocktail and mandarin oranges.  So I essentially have five cans of fruit in the pantry and ten stored away in my LTFS.  I eat more vegetables than I do fruit so I tend to stock a lot more vegetables.

 


I want to keep a one year supply of food on hand at all times in case of an emergency.  That is what I am personally the most comfortable with.  So many different things will constitute an emergency - weather, natural disaster, illness, a pandemic where people are losing their minds at the grocery store, job loss, lack of funds, break down in the food chain, unexpected expense, etc.  Whatever an emergency means to you and whatever makes you the most comfortable is what you should strive for.

 


For me it is and has been "one for now and two for later" per person residing in my home for quite awhile and it is a formula that has worked very well.  If I find I need more than that on some things and less of others I simply make those adjustments.  I'd love to hear what your thoughts are and what makes you feel comfortable.

 

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for this information, it is nice to see what others do. I have a smaller household now, am selling my house and moving to a smaller place, so have given much of my food storage to the local food pantry. They were thrilled yesterday when I dropped off all the frozen food in my small chest freezer, it will help many families this month. Hilogene in Az

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I bet they were Fantastic! I'm going to be passing along some more food items myself.

      Delete
  2. Sounds like a great plan. I was so pleased when we had stocked toilet paper before CV hit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am with you. One for now and two for later. I have always been a forward thinker, but Covid taught me to realize how not thinking ahead could make a big difference in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember you talking about your son

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.