Friday, March 24, 2023

Starchy Carbohydrates

 


Recently, about four months ago, I began to add more carbohydrates into my diet.  Up to that point I'd been Keto for nearly four years.  Loved it. Loved how I felt and how it addressed some of my health issues, in particular my migraines, tinnitus and menopause.  The medication I am currently taking for my heart issues has seriously messed with my metabolism and one of the side effects, there are many, is weigh gain.

 


Slowly over the year I'd been taking the medication I've also been gaining weight.  I'd also been having trouble with leg cramps and my hair had become very thin.  I decided to change things up a bit and slowly began to introduce some carbohydrates back into my daily diet.  My starches of choice being potatoes, I'm an Idahoan afterall, so of course I have to have spuds, rice, some bread and on rare occasion pasta.

 

I will occasionally eat oatmeal

My daily meal routine is still primarily meat and vegetables.  I eat potatoes the most as my starch since that, to me, is a vegetable and a simple one at that.  It's a potato.  Next is rice because again, to me, it is a simple one in that it is just rice.

 

My starch portion is kept rather small compared to the rest of my meal

Bread gets more complicated because it includes more ingredients so to handle that right now I am making all of my own bread products from scratch.  That is pretty easy too, since I don't consume bread on a daily basis I can get by with baking bread about once a month or so.

 

A homemade dinner roll with a sausage stuffed portabello mushroom & broccoli

Pasta is the last one on my list and one I rarely consume, mainly because I don't make my own pasta and the back of the box shows a lengthy ingredients list.  I choose to eat pasta the least and when I do I try to eat mung bean or rice noodles as they often only have a few ingredients, however rice noodles are not my favorite and I really do prefer the regular white flour durham wheat pasta.  Who doesn't ?  All things in moderation, right?


Pasta like this ranks lowest on my list and I keep the portions relatively small

So what has happened in the last four months since I made this change?  No increase in migraines, which was my greatest concern, my hair is getting thicker, the tinnitus is worse, but I can manage it and my weight has not changed.  It is not going down, but it isn't going up anymore either.  I've apparently hit that plateau and I just have to get used to it.  My doctor told me I need to accept it as part of the deal.  At least I can take solace in the fact that the medication is doing what it is supposed to do.  And then buy bigger pants.

 

I just try to make the healthiest choices I can

I still try to keep my meals as healthy and nutritious as possible, limit sugars and sugar substitutes like what is in soda and junk food, consume mostly whole foods and stay as far away from weird ingredients and preservatives as possible.  I'm curious, what is your starch of choice?

 

20 comments:

  1. I'm sorry about the med side effects, but I'm glad that the med is helping your heart issues.
    I really need to lose some weight. I never had a weight problem until I got cancer and threw everything out of whack. I'm trying to eat in moderation, but I do eat potatoes(yum), rice, bread and pasta and even snacks and desserts at times (but maybe a bit too much lately). I'm with you, I don't like rice noodles much, too gooey or something, and my son is eating gluten free so I tried soybean noodles which were just awful. Life is too short to eat yucky food. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed. We deserve to eat good foods and desserts sometimes too.

      Delete
  2. I'll take Pasta over any other carb, anytime! I don't have gluten issues. I have WW spaghetti and regular durham cavitappi and penne. And when we eat it, it's a BIG bowl ;-)

    I'm glad you're taking little steps and finding your health remains the same. A life of denial would be a bit less joyful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My starch of choice is also the potato, followed by bread and pasta (that I make myself) and then rice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think quite a few people gain weight when they retire too. Seems like a natural progression. You eat so healthy though and medicine can wreak havoc on your weight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pharmaceuticals are the worst, I think, so good food becomes even more important.

      Delete
  5. Potato gal here! If there was a carb only diet that would be great. ha. ha. I could give up meat easily.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So sad that carbs can be problematic. But a good baked potato from time to time. Yum!

      Delete
  6. So happy you were successful at adding a few starches to your diet. I love potatoes and breads.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing quite like a nice baked potato from time to time

      Delete
  7. I would say bread but only carbmaster (even with the long ingredient list), then potato (french fries preferably), then pasta then rice (we rarely eat the rice and pasta)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the carbmaster bread is definitely the tastiest so far.

      Delete
  8. My husband eats Keto (he's allergic to nickel, and removing food with nickel roughly matches a Keto diet), so we try to minimize carbs at our house. That said, my favorites are: mashed potatoes, sourdough bread, & I love peanut butter pretzels. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. My carb of choice is very low-carb/Keto bread or wraps, so I can have an egg sandwich for breakfast or a tuna sandwich for lunch and get the rest of my carbs from regular veggies. Aldi's recently had keto Hawaiian rolls; I made the most amazing slider sandwiches from them and absolutely stuffed my face. What a TREAT that was!

    Hawaiian macaroni salad is my kryptonite; I am helpless before it. But pasta sends my blood sugar skyrocketing like nothing else, so I don't eat it.

    Potatoes are better if they have been baked, cooled down, and then reheated ("resistant starch" theory). But I find mashed cauliflower just as tasty, so I almost always opt for that.

    Rice I can do without just fine. I don't eat sushi anymore because of the high ratio of carb to protein. I do like quinoa as a replacement for bulghur in tabouli--which is my favorite summer salad.

    Hah! That's probably more than you cared to know! But keto bread is my standby, and there are many, many good and reasonably-priced brands out there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keto and low carb breads have come a long way. I just wish the ingredients were cleaner.

      Delete
  10. To my sorrow, I've recently had to give up carbs & sugars. I'm Intermittent Fasting and eating only fats, proteins and non-starchy vegetables; no fruit. I will miss pasta and baked goods, but health is more important. Once I get my levels back to normal, I'll maybe have a bite now and then.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is what I find. I do prefer just the meats and veggies, but a piece of fruit and an occasional starchy item are nice from time to time.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.