Saturday, June 17, 2023

Investment Cooking - Freezing Bulk Ground Beef

 


I was able to pick up two of the three pound packages of 93% lean ground beef and a large package of steaks on sale at Fred Meyer at the end of May as part of my June groceries.  It was perfect timing because after a lot of winter canning and my pantry challenge I only had one package of beef left in my freezer.

 



I had a lot of ideas of what I wanted to do with that ground beef.  I began first by finely dicing a large onion.  I cut one package of ground beef in half combining it with some of the onions, steak seasoning, Worcestershire sauce, salt & pepper to make six hamburger patties.  I stacked them with waxed paper I cut into squares and placed them in sandwich bags I had labeled with a Sharpie marker.

 



Next I took the other half of the package of ground beef and made up a batch of meatloaf mix.  I divided that in half to make two mini meatloaves.  I placed each one in a quart sized freezer bag I had labeled.

 



The other package of ground beef was cut in half and used to make meatballs seasoned with garlic powder, dried basil, salt & pepper, dried minced onions.  I added a couple eggs and rolled them into balls.  I packaged them in small batches into labeled sandwich bags.  I’ll be able to use these with marinara sauce to go with pasta or to make meatball sandwiches.  They will also be nice for Swedish meatballs.

 


Not only is my freezer now well stocked with beef, but I also have many components ready to make easy and quick meals for one or two people.  Combined with the chicken and pork I also have in the freezer it looks like we’re in for some delicious meals.

 

4 comments:

  1. (Little Penpen) smart!!! And they are ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks great! It feels so good to prep for future meals doesn't it? And I find food is less likely to go to waste that way.
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way to prep the beef for meals! I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.