Monday, July 3, 2023

My Tireless Retirement - Week 65

 


Hello my friends!  How was your week?  Did it blast on by just like mine did?  My week was pretty full and busy.  I did some crafting, a little housework and laundry, puttered about in my yard and garden, cooked some delicious meals and even fit in a quick day trip with a good hike.  Some much anticipated company has arrived so we’ve been doing a lot of things together.  I couldn’t have asked for better, honestly.

 



I scrubbed up my old camp box as well as a larger Rubbermaid tote I used to use to store Christmas décor.  I then got busy and organized all of my non-motorhome camping equipment so it is now much easier to load into my truck for a quick getaway next time.

 



Many of the places I like to go, especially for hiking, aren’t easily accessible by motorhome so I still tent camp.  This week was one of those types of camping adventures and I was sure happy to have the chance to go out and explore.  I had a blast.  Thankfully I’m still able to do this type of camping, but I also have some ideas in mind to make it possible and even better as I age.  Fingers crossed that I can pull this off.

 



Our weather this past week has been absolutely gorgeous with an occasional sprinkle here and there.  Very typical of our late spring and early summer, at last.  In preparation of even warmer temperatures, which arrived over the weekend, I went ahead and installed our AC units in the master and second bedroom upstairs earlier in the week.  They will remain in place until about Labor Day when temperatures will start to cool again.

 

I did a lot of good cooking last week


Last time I went grocery shopping at Winco they had some big bunches of beautiful scallions (for only 38¢ each!), I bought two of them.  Once home I rinsed them and sliced them all up for the freezer so they are ready to use in various recipes I’ll be preparing in the not too distant future.  What I was left with was the bulb ends so once again I placed them into a wide mouth half pint canning jar and added some water, about halfway, and set them on my windowsill.  By the next morning I already had new growth, but look at them only one week later.  Amazing what you can do with something that would, by most people, simply be considered trash.

 

I rooted this sucker I trimmed off of my cherry tomato plant

and planted it in my garden

I ordered a new mattress cover from Amazon for my bed.  The last time I changed my sheets I noticed my current one had developed a tear so I knew it was time to get a new one.  I’d had this one for nine years so I have no complaints about its durability at all.  In fact, the majority of this padded cover is still in pretty good shape so I plan to reuse it in a few upcoming sewing projects I have planned.  I feel really good about the opportunity to recycle it rather than send it to the landfill.

 

I fueled everybody up with a french toast breakfast one morning


Our little daytrip was so much fun.  We piled into the truck and headed up a bunch of narrow and bumpy dirt roads to explore in the woods.  There is nothing quite like a picnic under the trees next to a river, in my opinion.  It had rained that morning so the roads weren’t dusty and everything was so lush and green.  We hiked along the river and found a little meadow filled with daisies.  Everything was so very pretty.

 



I was able to get three good hikes in last week as well as many other fun activities and I’m looking forward to what we’ve got planned this week as well with so much summer fun still to be had.  For those of you in the states have a wonderful Independence Day celebration tomorrow and take care.  XXX

 

 

2 comments:

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.