Saturday, July 1, 2023

I Tried, But It Just Wasn't Working

 


It was so nice to be able to score some really great deals on meat for the freezer.  Unfortunately, what little bit I purchased had my skinny little freezer on the side of my refrigerator jam packed with no room to add anything more.  A nice problem to have, but it also introduced a new problem, one I’ve been battling for weeks.  I can’t get what I want out of the freezer without unloading stuff onto the counters.  More importantly I’m dropping frozen food or it falls out of the freezer while I’m doing this and on more than one occasion landed on my feet.  Ouch!  I began to worry that it was only a matter of time until I seriously injured myself.

 

I broke a few freezer containers and figured it
was just a matter of time before I broke something else.

I like to meal prep and put ready to heat and eat dinners into the freezer for my busy days, but I’ve not been able to do that lately simply due to a lack of available freezer space.  A frozen pizza was out of the question because they don’t fit well into a side by side freezer even turned on their side.  My freezer is just too narrow and the space between shelves isn’t tall enough.  Then my BFF informed there was zero room for a carton of ice cream or a box of fudgecicles.  We were in trouble!

 

Cute little thing, isn't it? 😉

I really hesitated to make the decision to replace the chest freezer I just sold back in March because I didn’t want to be “freezer dependent”.  But, admittedly I am freezer dependent to a certain extent simply because of the way I enjoy grocery shopping for super great deals, my love of cooking, baking and meal prepping, how I love to entertain and feed people, plus my desire to eat wholesome and healthy food.

 

Surprisingly spacious

I now own a seven cubic foot (same size as my last freezer) upright mini freezer with five shelves and a bin in the bottom.  I’m in love!  This little freezer is just perfect for me and the way I live my life.  I have a shelf dedicated for the vacuum sealed packets of fish and salmon as well as the bags of frozen shrimp I like to buy.  A shelf for beef, one for pork, another for chicken.  Bread and dairy share another shelf while all of my bags of frozen produce fit into the bin at the bottom.

 

After moving most of the items from the refrigerator freezer it is quite apparent
it doesn't hold very much.  The new freezer is going to help me out a lot 😊
 

It is funny how, when faced with a dilemma or a need, how the universe tends to take care of us and opportunities will present themselves.  I had two gift cards as well as the $100 bill from the sale of the freezer.  The freezer was on sale at Home Depot so by the time I applied the gift cards and the cash I was only $141 out of pocket.  I felt really good about that since this wasn’t a planned ahead for purchase.  I sacrificed the rest of my June travel budget to pay the difference.

 

This will last me for quite a while

Wow!  What a blessing! 😌

Then the very next day while shopping ahead for the upcoming holiday weekend in July (Independence Day here in the U.S.) I stumbled across a huge markdown of meats as well as bread products.  I am now stocked up for the rest of the summer and into winter on both of those items.  I have no qualms now about having friends over and feeding people.  And my BFF has nothing to worry about now because there is also ice cream in the freezer.  I’ll work on those fudgecicles next. 😋

 

18 comments:

  1. I honestly wondered how long you'd make it on the side by side freezer. I'm glad you found a bargain buy AND the bargain buys to go straight into it. (We have a 14cf for 2 of us and it's stuffed when garden harvest ends each fall).

    Cheers to Good Eats 🥰

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations! I loved my small chest freezer, sold it when I moved in May. We shall see how long I last with just a normal size freezer ;). Hilogene in Az.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I liked mine too, but I have to say the upright is much easier to organize and see what you have.

      Delete
  3. I love my stand alone upright freezer. I have had mine for a long time. Hope it lasts forever. Congratulations.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it. This is going to work great for you. Of course....gotta have room for BFF"s ice cream/fudgecicles. 😆

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent purchase. No one wants to go to the ER with a broken bone...well doctor it was a frozen turkey that did it! Have a great 4th of July. Barb

    ReplyDelete
  6. I gotta admit, I thought you’d lost your mind when you sold your freezer! Lol. It sounds like this new one will work better for you so maybe it was all just meant to be.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that was a smart move to buy the freezer. You are into food preservation so feel good about it. You find amazing deals on meat etc that I'm envious of. I never see deals like that and that's what a freezer is for. good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  8. For me it would be the bread store. I personally think that an upright freezer fits my lifestyle better. Less lost do to hidden treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sort my freezer the same way, the beef shelf, the chicken shelf, the veggie shelf, the frozen meals shelf. And everything is in a plastic storage box

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.