Friday, June 30, 2023

This Month's Grocery Spending 2023 - June & YTD

 


I knew, going into this month I was going to spend more than what I have been.  My focus this time was to find some good buys on beef and restock my freezer.  While I still had plenty of chicken and pork in the freezer to work on, I only had one package of beef and no ground beef at all.  Knowing I had company coming and camping trips ahead where a juicy burger or a grilled steak might be on the menu I was hopeful.  Fortunately, my hopes came true.

 

Some digital coupon offers, a markdown item & steaks on sale

Stocking up with super sales adds meat to the freezer

I was able to purchase two large packages of lean ground beef as well as a nice package of ribeye steaks on sale.  A couple good sales on cheese allowed me to stock up on assorted packages of various cheeses between two different sale cycles and stores.  A gallon of milk, two boxes of cereal on sale, a small package of street taco tortillas on sale for a ridiculous amount (20¢ off regular price) and some fresh produce rounded out my first big shopping trip of the month involving Albertson’s and Fred Meyer.  At Albertson’s I used the remainder of my gift card to offset most of the cost of that trip.

 

Shopping the loss leaders items at Albertson's helps me keep my spending low

I stock up on cheeses whenever they go on sale

My next trip to Albertson’s was for two of those packages of cheese, a container of sour cream, two more packages of tortillas on sale for 99¢ each (hadn’t seen that price in a good long while), six packages of frozen vegetables on a digital offer and some strawberries and asparagus on sale.  I was excited about the tortillas because I was thinking about tacos or beef & bean burritos as well as breakfast burritos for when my company is here.

 

Sales items with digital store coupons make for low totals overall

A lot for a little

All in all, I was able to plug some holes in my basic pantry supplies, stock up on a few items and enjoy some delicious meals while entertaining guests and going on a couple camping trips.  Not too shabby and for a cost that I am more than comfortable with.  My final total for food came in at $118.07.  I did not buy any nonfood items so that total was $0.

 

Mostly produce with a few goodies to keep me from feeling the need to dine out

In the midst of inflated grocery prices this is what I've spent so far this year

Digital coupon offer on the cream, sausage on markdown 50% OFF sales price
I buy my bananas two at a time when I shop so I don't end up with a lot of overripe fruit

How did you do this month?  Did you land any great buys this month?

 

8 comments:

  1. You always score such great deals. I buy my meat at Sam’s club in bulk. We are a family of 3. I would say my average monthly is around $400.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is really good. Still far below the national average, especially nowadays.

      Delete
  2. I love when you do your grocery updates. It is so good to see that planning meals and buying on sale can make such a huge difference. Thank you for sharing this info, Hilogene in Az.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so welcome. I really do enjoy sharing these posts.

      Delete
  3. I too enjoy your grocery updates. I shop occassionally at a store owned by Albertson's so I recognize the clearance tags! Lol I only go there when there are good loss leaders. Usually that's produce I can dehydrate or freeze. While I'm there I'll check out the discounted meat and clearance shelf. I just stocked the freezer yesterday with clearance meats and bogo meats. The clearance shelf didn't yield anything. A couple of weeks ago I got 50 percent off on my favorite deodorant so I bought several. And I bought 4 boxes of gourmet cookies from a bakery I grew up near (in another state). These were also half off. These have a best by date in 2024 so they will be going into gift baskets at Christmas. Funny thing I'd been considering ordering from the bakery's online store as a fun gift for my siblings who would remember that bakery.
    Yesterday I spent around $130 for around $300 worth of food. The produce I'm dehydrating or freezing and the meat (steaks, pork roasts, pork chops, ribs & chicken breast) is in the freezer ready for summer cookouts or my husband's favorite meals. I was really excited I saved so much and got quite a lot.
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow! You did amazing. Doesn't it feel wonderful to be all stocked up? And the cookies! Lucky girl. :o)

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.