Wednesday, September 13, 2023

My Super Power

 


I’m going to share a little something with you.  Last winter I was tested and diagnosed with Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder (OCPD) and I was absolutely devastated.  In all honesty, I knew I had obsessive compulsive tendencies, but to have a diagnosis of one’s personality was like a hard punch in the gut.  Immediately I broke down in tears, I was sobbing.

 


My therapist handled me and my mini breakdown like a champ.  The first thing he told me was to drop the word “disorder” (he personally feels this word is way overused) and then he asked me if I would agree that I tend to have an obsessive compulsive personality?  “Yeeeesss…”  And then he asked me why I thought it might be a bad thing?  “I don’t knooow.”  I guess I just assumed that it was.

 


OCDP is similar, but not the same as someone with Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) and is far less extreme.  While I don’t check all the boxes of OCDP I do check a fair number of them.  Is this something I need to work through and get over?  Well, only if there is a particular part that I’m struggling with, but for the most part – No.  You can’t really “get over it” anyway, it is a part of who I am.  It is how I’m hardwired, likely from birth and in looking back it probably does run in my family.  It isn’t just going to go away, but now that I recognize it for what it is I’m actually able to really use it to my advantage.

 


At the same time it was suggested to me that I am also a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP).  Oh goodie, another acronym!  But, combined with OCDP, which is quite common, it only further helped me to identify why I do and feel and act in certain ways.  Again, now that I know I can also use that to my advantage as well.

 


So what does this mean?  It means that I’m strong and capable, organized and methodical, a strict rule follower, attentive to details, goal and deadline oriented, punctual (I can’t be late), loyal and dependable so depending on the occupation I make a really good employee.  I take care of business.  I’m a rock solid provider.  I can also be a royal pain in the ass and drive those around me bonkers, but I always do so with the best intentions.

 


I need order instead of chaos, I thrive with a routine, I’m a planner and a list maker so I’m able to accomplish a lot of things in a typically short amount of time.  I’m a great provider with an eye on quality and economy.  I’m great in a crisis situation, but I often struggle to understand other’s needs and emotions, even on the most basic level.  I can take care of the physical need much better than the emotional side of things, so in the past I’ve tended to steer clear of those situations.  If someone started crying, especially if it was a man, I’d be more likely to get the hell out of there.  I didn’t know what to do.  On the flipside however, when it comes to children, the elderly or animals I’m all there.

 


I’m more comfortable with small groups than crowds.  I struggle when there is a lot of noise and commotion.  I don’t do well with spontaneous, I need a moment to wrap my head around it.  What makes sense to me doesn’t always make sense to the masses and vice versa.  It sometimes takes me a while to figure it out or get the gist.  I’m quite literal so reading between the lines isn’t really my strong point.  If you tell me its red I believe you even if you meant it’s really pink.

 


Initially, I was never going to tell anyone about this, but I’ve come to accept and embrace myself for how and who I am.  And it isn’t a bad thing, not at all.  I only wish now that I could’ve have known about this much sooner in my life.  Perhaps it would’ve made a difference, perhaps not.  It is hard to say, but in the end I guess it doesn’t really matter.  I’m quite happy with the person I am today and that’s the best part.  It’s my Super Power!

 

14 comments:

  1. I'd be curious why you made the decision to be tested? You've been a busy Mom, employee and individual for decades. Being organized and aspiring to a more minimalist life is a positive in my viewpoint. I have grave concern for children "labeled" these days. Do they live up to the label or does it challenge them? A label is for life.

    Inquiring minds..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't see it as being labeled. I see it the same as being diagnosed with my heart and artery conditions. It's just a part of me, but it doesn't define me.

      Delete
  2. Aww, don't let a label get you down! You are still the person you have always been. Nothing has changed!

    You are a good, conscientous person who has spent her entire life working hard, caring for yourself, your children, and others who have needed you. You make the most of every single asset that you manage. You capitalize on your strengths and moderate your weaknesses. Is that not a wonderful life, well-spent? I should say so!
    You can and should be very proud of all that you have and continue to accomplish.

    (Rant ON) Labels. Whatever. Too many people pounce on them as excuses. If I hear one more person opt out of {xyz} because they have "anxiety." I will just...poop my pants. I mean, DANG. We ALL have anxiety at one time or another. We get through and we move on! (Rant OFF)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL. Love your rant. You know what they say about excuses? I don't subscribe to them myself. I'm not labeled, not at all! I just don't see it that way. I've had a great life and I am super proud of my accomplishments. Thank you for your kind and encouraging words. And please don't poop your pants. ;)

      Delete
  3. You Rock!!! I think you are amazing. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree, it is your super power! And you've used these things to the good of yourself and those around you. I feel like knowledge is power, and getting this information will continue to help you.
    I haven't been tested, but I am extremely confident that I have COPD too. Those behaviors you shared....it's me too. And that made me a fantastic student and makes me a great family bookkeeper now. Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed, knowledge is power. If you are, just know you are in very good company. ;)

      Delete
  5. Thank you for sharing this ! As a fellow HSP I think it is massively helpful to understand how we operate so we can use our Superpowers instead of fighting against them ! You go girl !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It has been immensely helpful for me to know what makes me tick. HSP for the win!

      Delete
  6. Gosh I find myself in some of those descriptions.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was diagnosed with dyslexia in the 70's when learning differences were viewed as something wrong with you. It's now coming to light through research that many of these diagnosis are just a different mode of thinking. I didn't know that not everyone could rotate a 3D model of an image in their mind and find the issues with it to fix it, or that people didn't normally image thoughts or feelings as colors. Different doesn't mean broken. I like that you recognize the struggles and the strengths of your diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right. We are not broken, we are all wired in our own unique ways.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.