Monday, January 29, 2024

My Tireless Retirement - Week 95

 


What a difference a week makes!  We went from single digits and loads of snow back up to low 40s and rain.  All of that snow I had to shovel is pretty much gone now and we’ve had some lovely foggy mornings to start off our days.  I just love a good fog.

 


My week was busy!  And it went by super fast.  I ended up working every day last week and enjoyed it tremendously.  I’m helping out on a big project at the senior center as well as my regular duties.  I love to be busy, especially this time of year.

 


I rode the bus to work every day but Monday because it was raining and I was grateful to have that option and ability to choose, but I missed it and my opportunity to walk downtown.  I am finding I prefer the bus and my walks to and from the downtown bus station.  I had forgotten how much I enjoyed walking downtown.  I used to work downtown for several years when I was at the accounting firm and I’d walk all over the place on my breaks and during my lunch hours.  Couldn’t get enough of it!  I love the architecture down there and the old Victorian buildings and houses just fascinate me.  They are so pretty with their colorful paint schemes and gorgeous trims.

 


Things I Used Up: 

When I retired nearly two years ago I discovered I had four open containers of Comet cleanser in my house.  Why?  Who knows, but somehow that had happened.  They were the large ones and were nearly full too.  I was determined to make sure they all got used up before another one was opened and I accomplished just that last week after cleaning my upstairs bathroom.  I was also able to use up a can of Barkeeper’s Friend that had been hanging out underneath my kitchen sink for quite awhile.  I actually had two open cans of that stuff and both are now gone.

 


I used up the tail end of two tubes of chapstick by digging out the remnants at the bottom of the tube with a toothpick which gave me an extra month of use.  Similarly I squeezed out every last bit of toothpaste from the tube before I tossed it giving me about a week of use.  I’m always amazed at how much product there is that is sometimes a little more difficult to get out of the container but would otherwise get tossed out if I didn’t try.

 



I used up some pancake mix and a partial bag of frozen blueberries that had been hanging around for a while by making up a big batch of waffles and putting them into the freezer to enjoy as homemade toaster waffles.  I also chopped up a head of cabbage and used the majority of it to make an eggroll in a bowl freezer meal kit.  I was able to pretty much clear out my crisper drawer in the fridge before anything had a chance to go bad.

 

Eggroll In A Bowl meal kit for the freezer

Ways I Saved $$: 

I rode the bus four of the five days I worked.  As I mentioned before it doesn’t cost me anything to ride the bus because I am a city employee and it saves me a lot of money on fuel, not to mention wear and tear on my vehicle.  I’ve actually been kicking myself for not doing this sooner.  I do like to drive my truck at least once a week so she knows I still love her.

 

Good as new!

I mended my favorite pair of winter gloves.  They had a worn spot on the right thumb and palm so I darned both of those spots.  I should be able to make it through the remainder of the winter while I seek out my next pair of favorite gloves.

 


Meals I Prepared: 

I had a super easy week as far as meals went.  I pulled out loads of leftovers I had squirreled away in the freezer earlier in the month to reheat and eat.  I had two servings of Korean Beef as well as stir fried vegetables to go with, two servings of cream of broccoli soup with two cornbread muffins, a serving of Italian sausage in tomatoes with a bit of penne pasta on the side and half of a sausage and vegetable quiche.  Needless to say, I didn’t do any cooking, but I did do a lot of microwaving and because none of these items had been in the freezer more than a couple of weeks they were all delicious and fresh tasting.

 


The last of the grocery store free offer freezer waffles were eaten up too as part of a weekend brunch and served with a fried egg on the side.  The convenience of those waffles had me thinking I should make up a large batch of homemade waffles to keep in the freezer as part of my regular meal plan.  So I did!

 


I do so hope you were able to have an enjoyable week.  Let me know what you’ve been up to.  In the meantime take care. 

 

FYI - My retirement week runs from Friday through Thursday.

 

8 comments:

  1. I used to make my own waffles when the kids were little and I had a working waffle iron - they could eat their weight in waffles. It was fun to use brown bananas in them, or different spices, or a half can of pumpkin. You could mix and match flavors and they reheated beautifully in the toaster.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My kiddos loved them too. Sometimes a waffle just hits the spot. :)

      Delete
  2. I found repairing a pair of knit gloves crazy easy. In my younger years I would've tossed them and bought more. Now I think it's the coolest thing to repair garments.

    A sunny day today but we had about 4 days of very foggy days. Haven't had fog like that in years. It's pretty in my yard among all the trees but not so fun driving in especially when people don't have their car lights on!

    I haven't bought much at the grocery store except for a few fresh items. I'm trying to eat down the freezer.

    Have a lovely week!
    ~margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mending is super easy and very satisfying. Good job on your grocery endeavors. :)

      Delete
  3. I am embarrassed to say that I did NOT meet the "$50/month" grocery challenge...but if you don't count a run to Sam's Club (which actually was needed), I came in at $118 and change. For two people, is that so bad?
    I know -- I am a bad girl.

    Pretty quiet around here, but this is normal for us in January. February 20 is the Brick's birthday, so I got some things on sale and started planning. Usually we go on a trip, but are not doing that this year -- buying the house, we promised each other we'd behave ourselves. That meant that the loan we took from our kids (9 percent interest) was the only $$ we needed to buy the house in cash. I've been able to make double and triple payments on that loan, too...so by the end of the year, it should be close to paid off.

    I have a big appraising gig, plus a speaking gig late this week, and Monday. That will help with February's expenses. Otherwise, I just tend to use up what we got at the last shopping trip to Denver. I can buy groceries in Alamosa, 40 min drive from here -- but the sale items are usually gone (no rainchecks), and the general prices are higher. Much better to schedule a 3-hour trip to Denver, see our friends (and hopefully a set of kids), then do several errands, as well. Plus visit the local thrift shop, if I'm lucky!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds to me like you are doing just great! Congratulations on the house and I'm sure your kids appreciate the interest rate on the loan. Makes a nice and tidy investment for them.

      Delete
  4. New reader here with a question: So you're retired but still working?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, very part time. It isn't a "job" as much as I feel it is like being a paid volunteer because it is so much fun. I love it!!!

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.