Saturday, January 20, 2024

Stretching My Food $$ - Soups, Stews & Broth


One of the ways I’m stretching my food dollars this year is to prepare and eat more soups and stews as well as make all of my own broths rather than purchase them.  Soups and broths are really good for us.  Filled with loads of good nutrients they are very nourishing but also a great way to hydrate our bodies.

 


Broth is extremely easy to make.  I will save vegetable scraps such as the ends of carrots and celery stalks, onion peels, cabbage cores and such in a gallon size Ziploc bag in my freezer.  I also save meat bones.  As soon as the bag in the freezer is full I make broth.

 

Beef bones & veggie scraps ready to make broth

I simply add the veggie scraps and any meat bones I’ve saved to my slow cooker and fill it with water.  Sometimes I’ll also add in some dried herbs, such as rosemary if I’m making chicken broth for soup.  I allow the slow cooker to cook on high for up to twenty for hours, then unplug it and allow it all to cool.  I pour the cooled contents of the slow cooker through a sieve into a large mixing bowl to capture the solids.

 


You can use the broth as is or chill in the refrigerator to form a solid layer of fat on top that can be easily removed if you wish.  Depending on the broth I usually leave the fat in it unless I use a ham bone and then I’ll skim off most of the fat so it isn’t too greasy.  At this point it is then ready to use, freeze or even can.

 


The best part of making your own soups, stews and broths it that it allows you to use up food that otherwise may have been destined for the trash.  I really do not like food waste so if I can put something to good use and make a delicious meal for myself then that just thrills me to no end.  It is also a great budget stretcher.

 


4 comments:

  1. I do the same. It's the best way to reduce sodium and know exactly what you're eating also.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the tips! I have some beef bones in the freezer than I am going to turn into broth/soup this week. But today I am craving your salsa cream cheese chicken since that sounds so good on this cold day.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.