Wednesday, April 24, 2024

Value YOU

 


I mentioned on Monday how I feel like I have a new found sense of freedom so I thought I’d expand on that a little bit.  It has actually been a bit of a surprise for me, a bonus if you will.  But in retired life I have definitely found freedom in my everyday life.

 


When I was young I was somebody’s child and under their influence, teachings and rules.  As a young adult I was somebody’s spouse and someone else’s employee.  I was also a parent.  As I got older I became someone’s ex-wife and a few someone else’s ex-girlfriend.  I was also another person’s employee as well as a parent to two additional children.  For many, many years I was a mom in survival mode, just making my way through my days trying to meet my obligations and my children’s expectations and I think I did a pretty darn good job at it too.  Now, after a lifetime of really hard work (literally blood, sweat & tears), so many sleepless nights due to worry and anxiety about everything and anything, trying my best to live up to what was expected of me, it’s done.  It’s all over.  I’m FREE.

 


I’ve shared before that as I’ve aged I find that I care a whole lot less about a whole lot more, but now, as I sit at this moment, I find that to be even truer on a much greater level.  I now live my life on my own terms.  I don’t allow others to persuade me, push me, guilt me or shame me into doing anything I don’t want to do.  I delete negative comments without remorse and I don’t answer off the wall questions on my blog.  I no longer feel compelled to answer prying questions, especially from total strangers.  I don’t take crap off of anyone because I don’t have to.  I won’t be manipulated.  If you treat me poorly I will walk away.  I don’t do anything that makes me feel anxious or uncomfortable.

 


I have stopped caring what other people think about me and I’m no longer a people pleaser.  The silent treatment no longer works with me.  No longer will people have carte blanche to say whatever they want or treat me badly and expect that I’ll keep coming back.  I’ve drawn lines in the sand and created boundaries and if you can’t love or just like me because of it than that is your problem to deal with, not mine.  I’m not a doormat.

 


I am no longer on the back burner in life.  I don’t sit back and allow others to shine because now it is my turn.  Those that I love and cherish have always had my full support, but now it is time for me to turn that same love inward.  I am always kind to others, but I wasn’t always kind to myself.  I was way too hard on myself, demanded too much and tried too hard.  I shouldered fault and blame that wasn’t mine to take on.  I allowed people to treat me in ways I would never have treated anyone because I thought I must’ve deserved it.  But now, I am able to recognize it for what it was, move on and I will not allow it to happen again.

 


Why couldn’t I have figured all of this out years ago?  I simply do not know.  Probably, because I was so focused on surviving each day and making my way through it, I just wasn’t able to.  Pay your bills, don’t lose your job, raise your kids right, give them everything you can, blah, blah, blah.  Now I am retired!  I have the time to think, to breathe and to feel and know that I am truly valuable.  We all are.  We just need to make sure we are valuing ourselves.  Every. Single. Moment. Of. Every. Single. Day. 


16 comments:

  1. WOW! Freedom! I can relate to some things you wrote, too. I have always been a helper, and unfortunately it's easy to take advantage of helpers. For a very long time I questioned and doubted myself and my motives because of others' disapproval, but no more. I finally got the clarity and strength to disallow that in my life. And it feels great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! Do no harm, but take no $hit. I am moving into Person from Mom and Widow and like you, its a very exciting time, altho for me, its a little scary, too! But I know my worth and I am getting to know every day what I want. (:

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it can be scary, but we've got this! Let's do this! :0)

      Delete
  3. Well said!!! You rock !!
    I
    Share the save birthday month as you and this year will turn 60.
    I spent so many years living for everyone else putting them first.
    I lost my mom and my dear sister in the last few years. It made me realize that life is very short.
    As I have gotten older ; I no longer care or get anxious over many things. I do my best and if that isn’t good enough than too bad. lol
    Sorry I don’t post that often, but I enjoy your blog.
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Virgos are the best!! You are a rockstar too Janie! Keep it up!

      Delete
  4. I am so very happy for you!! I saw a meme the other day that really resonated with me. It said "I'm at the point in my life that if you tell me 1+1=5, I will say you're exactly right and go about my business". It sounds like you are at that point too. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you! Good boundaries are so important. I'm proud of you for thriving in this season of your life. You're always so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Boundaries may not make us popular, but they keep us sane! ;o)

      Delete
  6. Good for you! So inspiring because we're all capable of this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your words of wisdom! Have a blessed day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is so incredibly important. I’m ashamed to say I allowed too much crap from people for too long. Now I’m exactly like this. Thanks for putting it so perfectly!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.