Monday, August 5, 2024

Investment Cooking - Meatloaf & Meatballs

 


One of my favorite things to make and put up in the freezer whenever I get a good deal on ground meat is meatloaf.  Next to that would be meatballs.  It is super convenient to already have a meatloaf of two all mixed up and in the freezer, the same for a bag of already prepared meatballs to make pulling dinner together fast and easy.

  

Basic Meatloaf 

1 ½ lb. lean ground beef

1 - 1 ½ lb. ground pork or turkey

½ cup quick cooking oats

2 eggs

1 medium onion, finely chopped

2 tsp minced garlic

1 tsp garlic powder

1 tsp onion powder

2 tsp dried parsley

2 tsp Worcestershire sauce

¼ cup ketchup, BBQ sauce or tomato sauce

Salt & pepper 

In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients until well combined.  Divide in half to make two small meatloaves or use all of it to make one very large loaf.  Bake at 400° for one hour.

 


This mixture is perfect to use to make meatballs.  A nice variation if you use meatballs in pasta sauce is to substitute dried basil for the parsley.

 

These are the perfect size for feeding 1 or 2 people
with just the right amount of leftovers 😊

I will often make up this recipe and add chopped bell pepper or grated cheese just for a variety.  Once mixed up I shape it into two meatloaves and freeze them individually in a quart size freezer bag or shape into meatballs onto a baking sheet and freeze for a few hours.  Then transfer to a freezer bag.  Once I’m ready to bake a meatloaf I thaw it in the refrigerator, remove from the bag and shape it into a loaf and place it into my slow cooker to “bake” on high for 4 hours or low for 6 until it is nicely done.  A small sheet of aluminum foil lining the bottom of the crock makes for easier clean up.

 


A nice glaze for your meatloaf is to mix about a quarter cup of ketchup, a good sized dollop of horseradish and some Worcestershire (woosta-sheer) sauce together and pour over the top of your meatloaf and then bake.  So good!

 

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing your meatloaf recipes and the freezing tips. I I decided to take early retirement(20 years) and officially retired last Monday. It was both exciting and a little scary making this decision but I am so happy that I did. I look forward to following along with you on your retirement journey. Now instead of commuting an hour in horrible early morning traffic, I can enjoy reading your blog while actually having the time to enjoy my cup of coffee! :)
    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. CONGRATULATIONS!!!! I am so happy and excited for you! Thank you for including me in your new retirement routine. I am honored. XX

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.