Wednesday, September 11, 2024

Spending LESS $$ - Dishes, Pots & Pans, Bakeware

 


In my humble opinion very little of what is sold in stores these days is worth me spending money on.  Especially when it comes to items I use each and every day like my cookware and dishes.  I personally love the classics – Corelle, Pyrex, Revere Ware, Le Crueset, Club and cast iron.  They hold up and serve me well.

 


My kitchen is outfitted quite simply.  Over the years I’ve weeded out the cheap crap and things I no longer need, want, use or enjoy.  Anything broken beyond repair or never really worked that well to begin with has hit the road.  What I have kept is old fashioned, charming and built to last.  And it has.

 


I have a pretty good Pyrex collection from the 1940s and 1950s.  I’ve purchased most of them from eBay and some from thrift stores and antique shops.  I love them and I use them to bake with and for food storage.

 


After years of trying various cookware that claimed to be nonstick I got rid of it all.  I am blessed to have inherited a collection of Revere Ware pieces from to grandmothers and a great grandmother as well as some nice cast iron skillets.  My great grandmother’s old aluminum dutch oven remains my favorite and is the one I use most often.

 


At one point in my life I was a Pampered Chef consultant and I find their products are quite a good value for the money.  I still have and use their knives and pizza stones.  The egg slicer and dicer sees action routinely as well as the pizza cutter.  I still have the original set of wooden spoons, the offset spatula and the mini spatula too.  Their garlic press is still going strong after thirty years of use as is the ice cream scoop.

 


I love my Corelle dishes.  They are in the classic Frost White and go with pretty much everything.  I’ve added some patterned items over the years – Christmas Holly bread plates, floral luncheon plates, but for the most part I stick with basic white.  They are lightweight, durable, chip and break resistant and take up far less space that most other dishware.

 


The older stuff has more charm, is durable and it just suits me better.  I invested in some good solid pieces and then I was done.  I’m not wasting money replacing items that wear out or break.  Choosing wisely, I find I don’t need as many things when they can perform double duty.  By making the investment up front I’m saving money down the road as prices tend to increase and quality tends to falter.

 


What are some of you favorites in the kitchen?

 

14 comments:

  1. I agree about the Corelle. I've had the same pattern and style for years and years. And I did a major purge of the kitchen and RV after my hubby died. I'm not planning on making any big holiday meals that require casserole dishes anytime soon, so when the boys move out, I will load them up with some. Same for gadgets - don't need as many so I am happy to pass those on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've thinned my stuff down quite a bit as well. My girls got a lot when they moved out on their own.

      Delete
  2. I love my Corelle dishes too and have all white ones. I have a really small kitchen so don't have room for unnecessary items. I read somewhere that old Pyrex contains lead. Now I don't know what to do about my vintage turquoise Pyrex mixing bowls. It's always something isn't it? -- Barbara

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so minimal I choose to use it anyway. So far, so good!

      Delete
  3. I still have my set of white Corelle dishes that have to be 40 years old. I too believe in quality. I'd rather put a bit of money upfront than to have to constantly replace 'cheap' stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Pyrex, too! I also have the plain white Corelle plates, which work perfectly for us. I inherited my mom's stainless steel mixing bowls, which are perfect. As far as pans, I bought a new All Clad stainless frying pan a few years ago after trying many cheaper options. I don't regret it one bit, and I'm sure it will last my lifetime and then some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard great things about All Clad. If I needed a pan I'd likely consider one of theirs.

      Delete
  5. I am finding that I'm simplifying what I have in my kitchen too. I have a couple vintage pyrex items. Since the lead is in the decoration on the outside I don't worry about it. I wash my hands after using them anyway. I used to have a bunch of cast iron. But now I only have 2 skillets as I just didn't need them all in addition to my Revere Ware.

    I had 4 different plates I was using to serve desserts. I saw a beautiful plate slightly larger than a dinner plate at a thrift store. I bought it and gave the other 4 away. I would rather have the one pretty piece than 4 "meh" ones. But on the whole I'm not replacing things. In addition to the 4 plates I filled up a grocery bag with other kitchen things I just don't want cluttering up my space.

    I've never really had a good set of kitchen plates I liked. Sometimes I think I should get a set of Corelle but then I think there's more important things to spend on. So I continue to make do with my mixed matched plates, bowls, etc.

    I bought a Pampered Chef stoneware muffin pan at a thrift shop. Oh my that thing was heavy. I found I wasn't using it because of its weight. Thankfully, I'd only spent a few dollars and not retail for it. I gave it away.

    I've spent a lot of time in the last year really thinking about what I use, what I need so I'm getting better about limiting what I do buy. So I won't be buying a mistake like that stoneware muffin pan! (I did need a new pan and it was only $3 but I know now I need to figure in usability. )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The only stoneware from PC I've kept is my pizza stones. I let the rest go because like you I found them to be too heavy. Sometimes you just don't know until you try it. Like you I'm not really looking to add anything new right now.

      Delete
  6. I am really clumsy. I mean - my record is 5 broken plates at the same time. I will NOT buy anything expensive, because it will be broke sooner or later. Because there's quite often six of us, I need quite a lot of dishes, and BIG ones, too. I'm quite sure that when there's only 2 or three left in the house, I've managed to crash all the big cooking dishes anyway. So IKEA is my go-to place. I have bought IKEA's lightweight glass dishes (very cheap ones) and they actually survive in my hands better than stoneware. Most likely because they are so light? I DO love cast iron and heavy pottery, and with wood heated stove, cast iron is the best option.
    I wish I could choose what I want, not what survives in my hands ;-) but it doesn't really matter.
    Ulvmor (North Europe)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish we had an IKEA here, but we don't. Probably good that we don't, truthfully. I have a feeling I'd be going there way too much. Ha!

      Delete
  7. (Little Penpen) I totally agree! I loved seeing your dishes!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.