Monday, October 7, 2024

Vintage Cookery - My Grandma's Christmas Sultana Cake

 


One of you kindly asked if I would share my grandma’s sultana cake recipe.  She would always make this poundcake at Christmastime and it was always my favorite.  Second would be her fruitcake saturated in so much rum you’d get a contact high just by unwrapping it.  The sultana cake doesn’t use any alcohol and it doesn’t have any sultanas (raisins) in it either, but rather candied cherries.  Don’t ask me why it is called a sultana cake but that is what she and her mother called it and that is completely okay because it is delicious and I truly love it!

 


This cake is definitely on my holiday baking list this year and I can hardly wait.  It has been ages since I’ve made it and I think it is definitely time to drag out this old recipe, dust it off and get it done.  I know she would be very happy if I did.  I also sense her telling me to make her fruitcake too.  Hmmm.  I may have to add that one to the list as well.

 

 

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! This sounds delicious -- and I plan to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks easy and delicious. I love looking at old cookbooks and the recipe cards I have from family members long gone are so precious to me. I will have to try this one!

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.