Monday, February 7, 2022

Budgeting My Way To Retirement - Week 5

 


I began the first day of the week by getting up early and heading off to Fred Meyer to pick up eggs and ground beef that was on sale.  While there I found mushrooms and pork chops on markdown as well as English muffins and rye bread so I added those items to my cart as well.  Then I was off to pick up a half gallon of cream from the restaurant supply store before heading into DSW to see what I could find for a great deal on a pair of shoes.

 

Fred Meyer and cream from Cash & Carry

Lucky for me I found a pair of Timberland sport shoes on clearance for half price making them 48.99.  With the $10 OFF coupon I had received in the mail my final cost was $38.99 plus tax.  I was quite pleased with that price so I bought them and headed for home.

 


Once home I got to work dividing up my meat and bread purchases, wrapping, labeling and putting them into gallon sized Ziploc bags before getting them into the freezer.  That pretty much topped up my chest freezer in the garage as well as the one in the kitchen.

 

Lots of future meals here!


The day before I had simmered a hambone all day to make broth reserving a quart of it before the rest was added to the freezer.  Once my groceries were all put away I used the quart of broth to prepare my grandmother's recipe for split pea soup.

 

I was never a fan of pea soup until my grandmother's recipe
It's the best!

The remainder of the was business as usual and went by in a flash.  Friday was payday and I was able to take care of all our monthly expenses in short order paying everything well ahead of the due dates.

 

We had zero food waste last week


In addition to the soup we ate plenty of really good meals made from things we already had on hand and using up odds and ends of things in the fridge and freezer.  I made up a package of five Italian sausages & tomatoes with pasta for my daughter and green salads.  We each ate one sausage so we were able to enjoy two dinners.  The fifth sausage was diced up and added to some penne pasta I cooked up and then used the last of the pesto, a dab of butter and a couple tablespoons of cream to make us a quick brunch on Saturday.  It was delicious, used up a couple things I had in the fridge and stretched that package of meat for six meals.  I also cut up a large pork chop to make us some teriyaki pork with rice for my daughter and more salads to go with it.  We had leftovers for more meals and lunches too.

 

Our first big pepper pantry haul of 2022

Saturday morning the young one and I were out of the house early with a list and a plan.  We went to Wal-Mart and Grocery Outlets stores for the sole purpose of a prepper pantry shop.  We decided to add some more items, primarily canned meats, and Wal-Mart had what I was after at a price I was very happy about.  The biggest thing I was after and Wal-Mart had it was canning lids!  I picked up fifteen boxes of canning lids so I am no longer panicked that I am down to one box and they are nowhere to be found.  I've been on the hunt for lids since this whole pandemic started.  I was beyond happy about this find.

 

Happy, happy, joy, joy!

I will post more about our prepping and updated plans in that regard soon.  In the meantime let me know how you're doing and what you've been up to.

 

8 comments:

  1. Wow, great deals!
    I love how you stretched that package of sausage into 6 delicious meals! That pork will make so many yummy meals too. Great deal on good shoes too. Glad you were able to find a supply of lids. Hard telling what things will be like this summer. Looking forward to reading about your prepping plans in the future.
    We are trying to redo our kitchen to make it more user friendly. I'm hoping that we will be able to age in place, so while it will cost a bit, we are doing some things ourselves to hopefully save some money in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The lids were an exciting find. The more we can do now to make our lives easier and nicer later the better off we will be. Very smart of you!

      Delete
  2. I've been enjoying your blog posts over the years. Thank you for doing this. It certainly helps motivate me to remain as frugal as possible, as I am a new "early retiree".

    As an FYI, I will be interested to hear how you make out with your new canning lids. I don't know if yours is the brand or not, but one of the ladies on YouTube who does a lot of canning indicated she tried two new-to-her brands and they did not seal. As a result, I was reticent to purchase the Golden Harvest ones at Walmart and I ordered Ball online, but they were rather pricey. If yours work, I'd love to know and I'd be willing to try myself. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I find plenty of Ball jars, but not a lid in sight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Our Wm had regular mouth jars (mostly pints) and a supply of the Golden Harvest lids. I'm on the lookout for wide mouth jars and lids. I have a good supply now and some reusable lids but as we all are wondering; who knows what summer will hold.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quart jars are hard to fine here and wide mouth lids too.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.