Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Making Our Groceries Go Further - Eating Less

 


One of the ways we manage on a very low monthly grocery budget is that we are not huge eaters.  I think we can all agree that in America it is really easy to overeat.  Supersize portions have been the "normal" way of eating for a long time and most Americans are overweight and over half of us are in or near the obese category.  Put quite simply, we eat too much.

 


I've never been a breakfast eater, which we've been told  for eons is "the most important meal of the day".  My mother used to get so frustrated with me because of this too, but I just wasn't ready for food first thing and I'm still very much that way.  So are my children.  We do not eat food in the morning.  Quite often we don't each until lunchtime.  Turns out we've been intermittent fasting long before I even knew that was a thing.

 

A Sunday brunch

I always start my day with black coffee and then about mid morning around 10:00 a.m. I will fix myself a large flavored coffee with cream in it, no sugar or sweetener.  By noon I'm hungry and ready to eat and so are my kiddos so we'll usually have lunch, which is typically leftovers from the night before or I'll make a breakfast or we'll have sandwiches.  Then later in the evening we'll have dinner.  I'm only preparing two meals a day and that is plenty of food for us.

 

Our meals tend to be rather simple

Along those lines we eat a regular serving size and seldom go back for seconds.  Serving sizes have grown a lot over time, but if you actually look at what a true serving size of meat or pasta is you'd probably be surprised to find it is much smaller than what is typically consumed.  We stick to true serving sizes and bulk up on vegetables.  I make a lot of fresh salads and we eat a lot of vegetables.  When I do have seconds it is usually the salad I want more of.

 


By limiting our portion sizes on meats and starches, the two most expensive items on the grocery list we not only save money, but it helps us maintain a healthy weight as well.  By focusing on more veggies we are adding better nutrition to our diet and feel satisfied after a meal. Overall, we eat less often and we eat less food.

 

2 comments:

  1. Yes, you were certainly "on trend" with your intermittant fasting before it was even a thing! I, too, try not to eat before noon.
    I start my day with 3 cups of water. It's easiest to drink if it's room temp, so I try to set it out the night before.
    Then I make bulletproof coffee with a scoop of collagen (for my hair and joints), a generous tsp of allulose (doesn't raise my blood sugar) and 2 tsps of refined coconut oil. I blend it all with a mini stick blender and it makes a luscious, rich mugful.
    After coffee is finished, I fill up on water or refrigerator tea (made with a blend of herbal & black/green teas.
    I am also trying to adjust portion sizes and to fill up on veggies when I feel hungry between meals and water/tea just aren't doing it.
    The nice thing is that if I don't have a perfect day, I can always start new tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.