Wednesday, June 22, 2022

Bread & Butter Pickles

 


With canning season upon us I thought I would share my grandmother's pickle recipe with all of you.  I'm hoping to make some of these myself should I get some cucumbers from the garden this summer.  I love her instructions.

 

Slice up enough cucumbers into 1/2 inch slices to fill up your largest mixing bowl.  Thinly slice up one large onion add to bowl along with 1/4 cup of salt.  Mix together and add two trays of ice cubes.  Place a pie plate on top of the cucumbers.  Set your gallon of vinegar on top to weight it down.  Place in refrigerator overnight. 

The next morning drain cucumbers and onions in a big colander.  Sterilize your jars, lids and rings.  Fill up your water bath canner and get it boiling.  Make the brine.

 

Brine 

2 cups cider vinegar

2 cups granulated sugar

1 1/2 tsp. mustard powder or 3 Tbs. prepared mustard

1/2 tsp. turmeric

1/4 tsp. clove

 

Place all ingredients in a saucepan and stir well.  Bring to a boil for one minute.  Stand back, this stuff will clear your nostrils. 

Fill sterilized jars with drained cucumbers and onions.  Pack them tight but leave a 1/2 inch space at the top.  Evenly fill each jar with the brine about 2/3 of the way then top off with boiling water.  With a clean cloth wipe off the rims of each jar and put on the lids and rings. 

Process in your boiling water bath canner for 10 minutes.  Remove to a folded towel on the counter away from drafts and allow to cool completely.  Any jars that don't seal can be put in the refrigerator or enjoyed immediately.  Best when allowed to sit 2 weeks or more. 

Makes 6 pints.

 


If you have any concerns or questions about canning please consult the Ball Canning book or any other reputable resource.  I do not claim to be a professional canner in any way.  Let me know if you end up making these.  I think they are delicious.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.