Friday, June 24, 2022

Hitting Some Milestones

 


We are nearing the end of the first half of 2022 and for me it has been quite the year already.  And it has been good, very good.  I've hit quite a few milestones recently and I thought I'd share my thoughts with you.  Some of you have already been where I am while others are well on their way.  All in all, while some are bittersweet, I feel good about where I've been and where I'm headed.

 


I've had a lot of "lasts".  For the last time I taught my last child how to drive in 2021 and then she turned 18.  That meant I was legally responsible for someone else for the last time.  I've been someone's parent with full legal responsibility for 35 years straight and now I'm not.  Now I'm just a parent and it is quite liberating to no longer have to shoulder full responsibility anymore.  I don't have to make the big decisions, fork over the big dollars, or put up with that teenage behavior we all know and love.  Funny though, how that seems to disappear when one turns 18 but still needs to live at home.

 


I attended my last school concert, my last awards ceremony, my last high school graduation for one of my children and received my last report card.  I no longer need to shop for back-to-school or attend registration with my debit card, no less.  No more school pictures, no more "Mom, I need…".  In fact, we cleaned out the school supply bin and donated what was leftover.

 


I went to work at my full time job for the last time on March 31st and I entered the world of early retirement.  I no longer have the stress of meeting my bosses' demands or expectations.  I no longer have to worry about getting to work on time.  I do laundry when I feel it is needed instead of having to get my work clothes ready on a Sunday afternoon.  I no longer pack a lunch, for me or for anyone else.  I haven’t had a paper cut in ages!

 


Even though my youngest is attending college here she still wants the out of town college experience and is looking for a roommate situation.  We've even started to purge her belongings and pack what she wants to keep.  I will soon be living alone and I can hardly wait.  I haven't lived on my own since I was 20 years old and I want to experience that once again.  I only want to trip over my own shoes.

 


I am moving into a whole new realm as a parent.  I'm no longer a provider and caretaker.  Instead, I'll be taking on a supportive role as listener, friend, occasional counselor and offerer of opinions when they ask for one.  I'm also moving into a new realm as a person.  I get to focus on myself for a change.  Do the things I want to do, eat what I want to eat and eat when I want to eat.  I'm looking forward to a house that stays clean, finding my stuff is still where I left it (no longer searching for stuff that was "borrowed"), having my own schedule and being able to talk to myself without someone thinking I'm weird.  The cats are used to it.  In short, I am looking forward to my independence.  I've hit some milestones this past year and I am excited for my future.

 

6 comments:

  1. You're right -- it will be a whole new world! Though I confess: the week after the second of our two daughters moved out, I spent a lot of time wandering through the house and staring out the windows. Then the world somehow flipped back on track...

    You have put good stuff into your children. You have done your job well. It will be very interesting now to watch your monthly reports especially.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've worked hard. Raised some pretty great kids and now I'm ready to be on my own! :)

      Delete
  2. You are in an exciting phase! Our teens are with my parents this week, and it's a little preview of what's coming. I laughed when I told someone that when I clean/organize the house...it stays clean! The beds are made, the clothes are in the closets, no shoes are on the floor... it's amazing!

    I do miss them, & I know it will be a big adjustment for me, but a nice sign of their own maturity & independence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will miss my girls too. It will be a good miss. LOL

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.