Monday, June 27, 2022

My Thrifty Retirement - Week 12

 


This prior Sunday my dearest friend was losing her battle with ovarian cancer.  It has been exactly five years since her diagnosis.  She has fought the good fight and been extremely brave throughout all that she has had to endure, I don't know that I could do what she has.  To put it mildly, it has been Hell.  Her family travelled in to be with her so my daughter and I spent our Sunday afternoon making several meals, a couple salads and a cake so they would have easy readymade meals to eat while they spent precious time with her.  Monday morning we took those meals over to her house.  For awhile I sat with her and she woke up.  She couldn't speak anymore, but she began to cry and clung to my hand with both of hers as hard as she could and I cried right along with her.  We've had so many conversations, we no longer needed to speak, but I reminded her that she is going to be in a wonderful place very soon and that so many people are waiting for her.  And I asked her not to be scared, telling her she doesn't need to be afraid.  She relaxed and drifted off to sleep and I think my words were of some comfort.  I pray they were.  I then left so her family could have their time with her.  She took her final breaths in the early hours of Saturday morning.  I will miss her so much.

 


After our final visit on Monday I took Tuesday to be sad.  I just needed to deal with my thoughts and my feelings and I started writing this post.  On Wednesday I went back outside and began working in my yard again.  This landscaping project I am working on has truly been a Godsend.  It has been keeping me busy and allowing me process the grief I had already been feeling at the prospect of losing my best friend.  In my faith I know she is going on to something so much better and her earthly suffering is done.  For that, I am very thankful.

 

A much appreciated truckload of FREE rocks

Wednesday morning I contacted a lady through Facebook about acquiring some landscape rocks she had offered up for FREE.  She was fantastic and while I was there loading my truck two other gentleman arrived (there were a lot of rocks) and we all had a wonderful conversation as we loaded those rocks into our trucks.  It was such a nice sunny morning.  The weather was beautiful and regardless of what happens to be going on in this world I was reminded that we are ever so blessed with God's glory.  Even if we are out just picking up a load of used landscape rocks.

 

My new project this week

After we picked up the rocks my daughter and I stopped at home depot so I could select a shrub she wanted to buy me for Father's Day.  My girls are always so good about acknowledging me, not just on Mother's Day, but on Father's Day too.  While I was there I picked up four more bags of bark mulch and when we got home I got right back to work in the yard.  I spent the majority of the rest of the week working outside and making some really good progress.  We have a dove with a nest in our sycamore tree and I get to enjoy her coming and going, feeding her babies.  Nature, fresh air and playing in the dirt, what more could a girl ask for?

 

I finished up this bed next to our driveway too

On Friday another dear friend came over to checkout my landscaping project and have lunch with me.  I made the Korean beef recipe for her and we ate that with a nice salad.  I got to harvest my first radish and some green onion tops which I sliced up and put in our salad.  We enjoyed each other's company and some really great conversation, even discussing some possible travel plans.  I can tell you this.  I may not have a lot of good friends, but the ones that I do have are amazing.  True treasures.  I am so very blessed to have my little circle of friends.

 

My first harvest

I spent my Saturday morning enjoying another lovely day with my doors and windows open to the fresh air and sunshine.  Beginning Friday evening and finishing up Saturday morning I went through my entire kitchen thinning, decluttering, cleaning and reorganizing all of my drawers and cabinets as well as the pantry.  I found a handful of items to get rid of and even fixed my youngest daughter a bag full of "starter" groceries for when she moves out on her own.  Fingers crossed, she and a roommate have found a place they really love not too far from campus.  I hope they can get it.

 

Just the dishes I need for my daily use
Love it!

I finished up my week enjoying my new yard, all the beautiful flowers and plants as well as my pond and the opportunity to putter away out there.  The chickens and kitties have been extra good company to me this week and I appreciate them so much.  Plus, I get eggs!  And Jack brought me a mouse while Stella brought me a bird.  They are so sweet and generous, aren’t they?  My little garden is beginning to take off with the warmer weather and my tomato plants are getting buds on them.  Yay!

 


I pray that you are doing well and were very blessed last week.  Let me know what you have been up to.  I love hearing about it.  Any fellow gardeners out there?

 

10 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I'm glad that you were able to see your friend shortly before she passed. What a blessing, and what a blessing you were to her and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so sorry your friend has died. Your final visit with her will forever be a treasure. I truly believe the dying are Blessed by us giving them permission to leave us. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more. Thank you for the hugs Elle. :)

      Delete
  3. I'm sorry. It's really difficult to lose people -- let alone the ones we love deeply. May God comfort you...and her family, as well.

    P.S. I made your Korean beef recipe with elk burger, but with teriyaki sauce. (All out of soy.) The Brick loved it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy.

      I'm so glad you guys liked it. I've made it twice in the past month. It's a new favorite for us.

      Delete
  4. I’m sorry for your loss. It’s wonderful that y’all had time to let each other know how much you mean to each other and I know her family appreciates the lovely food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee Ann. Our friendship and time together was a real blessing.

      Delete
  5. I'm so sorry to hear about your friend. How reassuring for you to be able to be there for her, and also bringing meals for the family. Good thoughts to you as you deal with the grief.

    Our garden is also going really well. We are currently picking: lots & lots of lettuce, tomatoes, spaghetti squash, peppers & a handful of strawberries.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much.

      I harvested two more radishes and some more green onion yesterday. I'm excited for tomatoes.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.