Wednesday, July 27, 2022

Do I Need A 3BR/2Bath House?

 


As a single woman do I still need a three bedroom house with two bathrooms?  The short answer is NOPE.  Ideally, I do see myself downsizing into a two bedroom one bathroom house on a single level as I age for that will be much more practical.  However, right now I am currently using every square foot of the house I currently live in.  Each room has a purpose and is used for that purpose.  And the truth of the matter is I am totally in love with this place.

 


I have lived here since the end of January 1995 and have been steadily working on improving the condition of this house and making it into a home.  Initially I made repairs, replaced the roof, replaced doors and windows, updated electrical and lighting, updated plumbing, repaired and painted the exterior as well as a host of other things, paying cash as I went along.  By the time the structural issues were addressed it was time to start again on the now dated and worn out interior updates that had also been made during that time.

 


In the past two years I've gone through nearly the entire inside of this house once again updating and making improvements which has included new trim, paint and carpeting.  There have been maintenance items to address too, such as new toilet seats and a garbage disposal.  And I paid cash as I went along because it is very important to me that I remain debt free.  At long last the interior of my house looked the way I had always imagined it in my mind and in my heart and it truly became a home to me.

 


Once the majority of the interior updates was completed I was committed to making the exterior of my home look and feel as good as the inside does.  I wanted both inside and outside spaces to be reflective of each other and this year I was finally able to do just that.  Many, many landscape changes have been made to my home and it now looks the way I had always imagined it in my mind and in my heart as well.

 


All of my children are now out of the house and I am officially an empty nester.  I think it is important that I have the opportunity to live in my home for a minimum of one year before I make any big decisions as to whether or not I will sell and move or not.  In fact, due to me retiring and entire year sooner than originally planned it might prudent for me to wait an entire two years before I make a decision.  The bonus for me is getting to thoroughly enjoy the fruits of my labor.

 


There are other factors for me to take into consideration.  I love living in the city I currently reside in.  My house is located near everything I need access too including a main city bus line and the airport.  I really enjoy my neighbors and I live in a very nice neighborhood, I know a lot of people cannot say the same.  I feel safe, which is extremely important.

 


Because I have lived in this house for so long it is also exceptionally affordable for me.  I've managed over the years to figure out ways to heat and cool my home so my electricity bill is relatively low.  I've made a lot of changes too that save on my water, sewer and trash bills.  And now that I live alone I expect to see even more savings as I'm no longer taking care of a family.  I seriously doubt I can live somewhere else for a lower cost at the moment.

 


Nothing is set in stone, we all have to remain adaptable and fluid because things happen and changes ultimately need to be made.  But for right now I am quite happy and quite content to stay right where I'm and enjoy this home I have created.  It has been a lot of work, a true labor of love.

 

6 comments:

  1. I agree with staying. I'm totally with you on no major decisions for one year after retirement.

    I'm willing to bet in this town it will cost you double to move and it will be away from the services you enjoy within walking distance. And an older home could have far more problems than you have repaired at this one. We're in the same boat. We'd love to move but it will cost us 50% more than our sale price AND be further from the parts of town we spend our time in.

    Happy Wednesday :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so want, at the very least, to live in this house and get to know what if feels like to live here alone. I'm in a good spot plus it helps that I've got great neighbors too. A lot of people don't even know their neighbors. I know I'd have to leave Idaho if I was to sell right now.

      Delete
    2. Great neighbors? We can't buy those. I also have great (retired) neighbors as well as younger families coming and going through our 31y here. One more change in this home is to raise the step-down living room to decrease fall-risk as we approach our older years.

      Cheers to great times in your home :-)

      Delete
  2. Since your house works so well for you and isn't too big, I don't see the need(the point) to 'downsize'. If it's not broken don't fix it".

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you have done with your house! Great job with all the remodeling, and I'm glad you have things just the way you want them. Enjoy your home!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We’re wanting to downsize as well but where do we go? The homes in Wake County NC are selling for outrageous prices. We could most likely get a great deal on our home but buying another one is the issue.

    ReplyDelete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.