Friday, July 29, 2022

This Month's Grocery Spending - July 2022

 


It is unreal to me that July is coming to an end.  And!  I'm almost four months in on my super thrifty retirement already!  Time is flying by I tell ya!  Part of my thrifty retirement this year is to keep to my grocery budget and spend as little as possible.  Since my youngest moved out on the 7th of this month that made it much easier for me to keep costs low, especially the last three weeks.  I found myself doing mini weekly shopping excursions, mostly for produce and anything on sale I thought I might need.

 


It did help a bunch that I was able to find an amazing deal on meat at the beginning of the month.  Originally the plan was to pick up two or three pot roasts, which I did, but I also found marked down burger patties and meat balls so I added those to my cart as well.  I will get loads of meals out of these items, no problem and I do plan to share some with my youngest to give her a bit of a boost with her groceries too.

 




I was able to stock up on cheese that was on sale and I had several paper coupons to go along with making it only 99¢ a package for the grated cheese and $1.29 for some sliced pepper jack.  I love pepper jack for my grilled cheese sandwiches.  After that most of my money went for fresh produce and cream for my coffee.





Nonfood spending was only $3.99 for a twelve roll package of toilet paper that was on sale to add to my long term storage.  Other than that I didn't need or buy anything else nonfood.  My food spending came in at just $73.77 out of my $100 budget.  Not too bad, I'd say.

 




I'm curious now that I'm an empty nester to see how my shopping habits change and how much it impacts my budget.  With all of the stockpiling I did last winter in preparation of my earlier early retirement I really don't need much and I find right now I'm cooking less and consuming less so those groceries will last much longer. It will be interesting to see.  



How did you do?  Stumble across any great bargains?  What were you able to stock up on?

6 comments:

  1. You do so well at Fred meyer. We don't have one here, but my dd goes to Idaho falls 2 or 3 times a month and always stops to check the deals. She got me a 99 cent pork loin this week, and she found lots of markdowns this time too. She got me a couple of those roasts
    a couple weeks ago. Their meat and produce deals are like nothing I see here. You are proof that even with rising prices its possible to stick to a budget.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow Diane! Great buy on the roast. I love those deals. :)

      Delete
  2. Maybe you'd do a post on how you find these bargains? Is there a certain day -- or time in the day -- that's better than others? I do okay for myself in bread, canned goods, etc. -- and if I go to King Soopers (your Fred Meyer), I can find the red-bagged produce. But meat??

    My best bargain lately was on Amazon Warehouse -- and that canned chicken I mentioned to you. I also found some fancy German chocolates I'm saving for Christmas. Otherwise, it's been pretty quiet bargain-wise around here in Colorado.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be hit or miss on meat and produce deals. I go at various times and days, but I always check for markdowns.

      Delete
  3. Kroger left NC and they always had great deals. I miss them. You do an excellent job!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lee Ann. I do the bulk of my shopping at Freds.

      Delete

Your kind comments are always appreciated!
Comment modification has been turned due to spam. I will get your messages up as quickly as possible each day. Thank you for understanding and know I love hearing from you very much.